Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Thermometer App / I Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital Thermometer App / I Phone

Is there a App or Thermometer that works where you can be away from your home to monitor temps?

i don't know of any...but you could get an IP camera and point it at your maverick. that's what i do.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the lo-tech with hi-tech solution! The best part is that it just works.

This is a thread I'm really keen on following. I have previously used the Maverick, but ditched it for the iGrill 2. The "issue" is that the iGrill 2 communicates via bluetooth, not via wifi. To get it to work I need a bluetooth to Wifi bridge, sometimes called a BlueFi bridge.

Would love to see if there's a solution to this. I guess both comms (BT, Wifi et.c.) and operating systems et.c. make it somewhat complicated. I sent a support email to iDevices anyway to see if they have any suggestions.

Don't know how to do this with the Maverick (yet). It seems like the CyberQ does this already (needs to be verified).

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I've wanted the same thing. It seems someone already owns a patent for Wifi grill data. However there is nothing for Bluetooth to a wifi controller.

Henrik, how do you like the iGrill2? I have seen some negative reviews about the probes being somewhat inaccurate, and not lasting very long. What is your experience? I was thinking about getting one, so any info you would like to share would be great. Thanks!

Comment

Have you looked at... Tappecue 4 Probe

Discover the Ultimate Tappecue Meat Thermometer – Your BBQ Temperature Control Companion. Elevate Your Grilling Experience with Wi-Fi Thermometry and Precision Temperature Monitoring. Explore the Future of Thermometers Now!

Comment

Thunder77 Well, I have one iGrill 2, and I've had it for a year, but I'm very happy with it. It is quicker to use, and simpler than the Maverick. I had to replace 8 probes in one year for the Maverick, but with this one I have yet to see a probe failure. I also like the 4 probe capacity and charting. The one thing to think about is BT vs radio range (the 'old' Mav uses radio which has better range). It all depends on where you have your smoker.

I haven't heard of the Tappecue, thanks for the suggestion, will look into it.

Comment

I have a Maverick which has great range at home but it's not wireless. However, I also use a unit sold by William Sonoma that is wireless and has an iphone app. The setup is a bit strange initially but after that it syncs to the wireless signal in your home and if you are in range you can use the app to check on things. The unit only has one probe though so it's not dedicated to the BBQ scene. As far as something you can just leave home and check online I have not heard of anything like that yet.

Comment

The Wifi version of the Meater does what you are thinking, I think...

Comment

I have the iGrill also, and like it ok. The probes aren't bad, but could be better. the wires are pretty delicate compared to those on a DigiQ, and they could stand to be longer (they are 3ft). The unit snaps into a magnetic mount, but there isn't really another mounting option. The Bluetooth range is pretty good, but gets smaller as the batteries get weak. The batteries are good for multiple overnight cooks. after over a year, I have only worn out 4 AAs. The 'silver' color around the face will come off if exposed to minimal moisture, but that is only cosmetic. The iPhone app for it is really nice and easy to use. Also, Weber just bought it, so I expect the app features to move from the iDevices app to the Weber app. Hopefully they will also make it a little more rugged and weather resistant.

Also worth considering, if you plan to buy a controller, you may want to consider doing both in one. Had I known 2 years ago that I would eventually buy a controller also, I would have skipped the iGrill. Setting up my DigiQ, then adding another set of probes for the iGrill is a bit of a pain, when I could accomplish the same with a CyberQ, only have to deal with one set of probes, view food temp remotely, and remotely control pit temp as a bonus.

Comment

• RichBrew
                RichBrew commented
                Editing a comment
                BTW, anybody wanna trade a CyberQ controller for a DigiQ?

If the Meater ships in July when it is supposed to it will be able to be monitored thru WiFi.
              (from there kickstarter page)
              Meater Block will enable Meater Link and Meater Cloud to connect your Meaters to your WiFi network. This allows you to monitor your meat anywhere your smartphone has access to the Internet. Meater Block is the perfect cooking accessory for:
              Homes that need extended wireless range
              Operate Meaters without the use of your smartphone
              Cook everyone's steak the way they like it
              Meater is the only meat thermometer that will guarantee perfectly cooked meats every time you cook. | Check out 'MEATER: The Only Wire-Free Smart Meat Thermometer' on Indiegogo.

Comment

Sounds like you want wifi capabilities. If so, like others have mentioned, your options are pretty limited. The Tappacue mentioned by Koy Schoppe is available now and has reviews available. The Meater is in production and nobody really knows how well it's going to work. I'm optimistic about it and have ordered the block and 4 probes. Keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be shipping soon and that they stand up to the harsh environment of a smoker like they manufacturers says they will.

Comment

@ Dr Rok - I'm looking forward to your review of the Meater

Comment

I f you have a computer that has WiFi and Bluetooth within range of the thermometer, you can put the thermometer on your WiFi network by bridging the the Bluetooth and WiFi networks on the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by jgjeske1 View Post
                      I f you have a computer that has WiFi and Bluetooth within range of the thermometer, you can put the thermometer on your WiFi network by bridging the the Bluetooth and WiFi networks on the computer.

Should work with WiFi+Bluetooth equipped mobile devices, too. Probably best to choose the one you're not carrying with you, e.g., set up the bridge on an iPad ... leaving the iPhone free to carry around with you.

Comment

I can confirm that the CyberQ will do this. It connects via WiFi to your home network. You do (IIRC) have to set up a port-forward inbound to your device, assuming you use a regular home broadband router.

I have mine set up using an app called The Pit Pal. I can monitor and adjust my pit temps from anywhere I have data service on my iPhone.

Jim

Comment

• Thunder77
                          Thunder77 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          now THAT is cool!

• CeramicChef
                          CeramicChef commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I can also verify that the CyberQ syncs to your home WiFi network. I seldom use my CyberQ as a controller, but it's a heckuva great temperature monitor.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here