Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iGrill2...Trust it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iGrill2...Trust it??

Ive been using igrill2 with 2 probes for several cooks and am starting to loose trust in it. Maybe it's the colder weather, but I'm not using it below 40-45 degree F outside temp. When I plug in the 2nd prob into my meat right out of fridge it STARTS with a read over 100 which is not possible. The internal grill temp is sketchy but I've done the Weber with SnS enough now to know the settings etc. so I think it's close enough. In addition, the probe will flicker a probe 3 and 4 and I don't even have additional probes. I've contacted the mfg and they said to do a reset which I've done but I'm not so happy.
    Anyone else have one? Like it?
    I like having an app and being able to know temps without standing next to grill. If anyone has an alternative that works well with similar functionality I'd love to hear it.

Britt I have a 1st generation igrill. My probe temps don't match other probes being off 5-10 degrees, but nothing like you are describing. I haven't been using the much lately.

Comment

i get flash readings too once and awhile on 3 and 4 with nothing plugged in. No problem yet with readings on 1 and 2. I would make sure batteries are good and maybe check the probes in ice water than boiling water. Response times are not going to be 2 seconds like the thermopen.

Comment

• Fine Swine
        Fine Swine commented
        Editing a comment
        I also notice that the "set up cook" wasn't set up. That is a nice feature that I use. You can even set it for your anticipated stall temp if you plan to crutch, then change it to your final set temp.

I have an iGrill2 with 4 probes. I mostly use it when I'm grilling several burgers or steaks. I appreciate the iGrill2 for allowing me to monitor the temps from inside my house but I have come to expect it to be around 5 degrees off. I always finalize my cooks by checking the temp with my Thermapen which I believe provides a more reliable temperature reading.

Comment

Interesting. With the iGrill 2 and Mav ET-732 probes next to each other in the pit I've noticed temps being off with my iGrill by as much as 20 degrees, but over time it eventually equals out to my May probe temps. Let's ask Bill.

Comment

I have been tempted many times to purchase the iGrill with 4 probes, but keep holding off, hoping that the Thermapen folks will make one like it with 4 probes/readouts and wifi or bluetooth capability.

I'll watch this topic with interest, to see if iGrill helps you out with the problems you're having, Britt . Best of luck as you work toward a solution.

Kathryn

Comment

The weak link in these thermometers with cabled sensors seems to be the sensors themselves. They are easily damaged, either by getting them wet, overheating the cable, or kinking the cable. You might try a controlled experiment: heat your oven to some appropriate temperature, say 200ºF. Clip two or more probes to the rack in close proximity, preferably tied together. Note the temperatures (and steadiness of the readings) of each probe. They should read within a degree or two of one another. If you find one that behaves intermittently or reads a different temp from the others, you may have a damaged/defective probe.

I have found that two probes mounted more than a few inches apart can read significantly differently when used in my WSM. When I conduct tests of thermostatic regulators, I use a Bluetooth ThermaWorks BlueTherm Duo thermometer that I monitor with my computer so I can graph the temperature over time. (See a typical review.) I've checked the accuracy of this device as well as the accuracy of the temperature controller's probe, yet a difference of 10-15º isn't unusual while conducting the test.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of devices that use my Samsung Galaxy to monitor temps. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer a dedicated device like the Maverick ET-732 or other similar gadget. They typically have greater range, and the batteries don't die in less than a few weeks, unlike a phone or tablet. (I make wine and use the Mav to monitor the fermentation temperatures, so I've left the device running for weeks at a time without changing batteries.)

Hope this has shed some light on the problem.

Comment

Mine is still somewhat new, and seems accurate when "fact checked" with the Thermapen. I've had better luck with than I ever had with my Mav 732 (I understand the 732's rep...I think I may have just ended up with a bad one...)

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to try the oven test to see if probes are damaged. I try to avoid getting them wet, but cables may have suffered some damage. I'm also going to buy 2 new probes and test the new ones for probes 3 & 4. Might also buy the thermapen as a backup.
                The anxiety of over cooking my prime rib yesterday was too much! I had 3 different devices (some old school crappy ones) stuck in the meat and the ranges were around 45-50 degrees apart! 😳

Comment

Fine Swine I didn't use "set up cook" because the probe 2 was in the meat and I was cooking prime rib. From the picture I posted it registers 160. Imagine the panick when I wanted to start searing at 115! When I first plugged the probe in it registered 120 straight from the fridge so I didn't want to hear all the beeping

Comment

I would have panicked too for a prime rib! That graph looks like the stall from brisket or pork butt. I will be making Pastrami for St. Paddy's Day. So this time I will have 4 probes plugged in.

Comment

I have one and have been using it for about a year. Compared to my digiq, while starting up, it always seems to be ahead. Once the temp stabilizes for a few minutes, the digiq will catch up, and they will be within 1-2 degrees. I had a damaged probe, emailed support, and they shipped a replacement. If it's out of warranty, they will replace for $10 vs the retail $25.

Also worth noting, iGrill was recently acquired by weber. Maybe they will make the whole thing more durable for regular use.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3488.PNG
Views:	115
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	148668

Britt, So I had 3 probes today prepping for Pastrami Ruebens. Sure enough, one of my probes registered high when I know the meat was cold. I also plugged in one of my probes from the Maverick that I have. Interesting...Igrill said negative DC. That's a voltage thing and thats how thermocouples work. The probes actually generate a current, although small, to the unit. I tend to lead my probes outside and it rained. But, i plugged in later and it seems ok. I know the maverick probes have the same problem of the wires at the connection and get bad. Works fine again after drying out. Here are a couple of pictures...You will see probe 3 way too high in picture one. Then after it dried out...pretty good. Slight variance in temp because one brisket was thinner than the other...Thermopen was within 1 degree.
                        Last edited by Fine Swine; March 16, 2016, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here