Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bluetherm Duo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetherm Duo

I have had my Bluetherm Duo now for a couple of months and have had few occasions to use it. I downloaded the app to my iPhone and started using it for a cook to monitor the temp of a pork butt and the temp of my Lang 36 Hybrid. As long as I stayed in range of the cooker all was good. You can load your preferred temps into the Bluetherm in a favorites folder in the app and then when you turn it on you have to touch on the favorites icon then on the one that you want to use. This is not a big deal as long as you stay within range of the cooker but if you go out of range and loose the signal then when you get back in range it will automatically pick it up again but it goes back to the built in default range which is a rediculously high temp and a really low temp so you have to select the favorite that you have saved again to monitor the temps again and if you forget this you could end up with very overcooked meat. I just got this thing working with my laptop with the help of Thermoworks excellent technical support staff and that seems to work much, much better than the phone app. With the unit in range of my laptop I can watch both temps on the larger display so I should be able to put my laptop on my kitchen table and keep an eye on my temps without having to go back and forth outside to check it. The 2 caveats I have with it is the bluetooth does not have the range that the other wireless thermometers have and the phone app is annoying. Other than that the build quality of this thing and the probes are second to none and while it is relatively expensive, I for one think that it is worth the price for something built like like this and the battery lasts for days on a single charge. That is just my opinion so no one has to aggree with but I do recomend this unit to anyone looking for something that will last longer than the other wireless thermometers on the market. When I get the chance to use the laptop version more I will keep everyone posted as to how that works

Thanks for the write-up. I've been researching new thermometers and was definitely looking into this one. I'd probably use an available laptop during cooks as well so I'm interested in your review of that. I certainly agree on the build quality of the ThermoWorks products (have had a Pen for years) but the cheapskate in me keeps pulling me back to the Mav ET-723 or 733. I always translate the price difference into how much meat I could buy...

Comment

When I get a chance to use the laptop version for a cook I will let your know how that works. I will say this, I was concerned at first about how long the battery would last for a long cook but I don't think that is going to be a problem. I have had mine on for 2 days trying to run the battery down and it still shows that it has a full charge. I like the Maverick and the range of it but mine is not very acurate and the probes are just too flimsy and easy to damage so that is why I looked for an alternative. I just wish Thermoworks would make a version that has a greater range as far as the distance is concerned that way I could monitor my cook from anywhere I choose.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here