Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New waterproof Maverick probe: Any experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New waterproof Maverick probe: Any experience?

Hi,

I just saw that Maverick does now offer a replacement probe which they claim to be waterproof:

It's 5$ more, but that sounds like a good investment.

Are there any experiences with the new ones? It seems they are very new, and maybe noone had the opportunity to do long-term tests.

Best,

Detlev

top_gun_de, Now I am PO'd, I just purchased a set of 6 ft Hybrid Probes from Amazon, the old style? I couldn't find 6 ft W/P any where?
    Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Their (Maverick's) website lists them, not sure if retailers do yet or not.

I'll have to check that dude out if/when these hybrids croak in a few years.

Comment

I see the Maverick probe now uses the same type of molded protection that the Thermoworks have been using to prevent water damage. Just be aware that if you already have probe ports installed in your cooker, these may be to big to fit. I had to modify my Yoder YS-640's probe ports so the larger Thermoworks ones would fit. No big deal.

Comment

I switched to the iGrill because I thought the unit got wet during an all night brisket cook and it rained. So is it just the wires or the unit?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          The Maverick transmitters always were water resistant. Rain proof but not pond proof. It's the probes, specifically the joint where the probe and the wire connect, that were not water resistant.

• Fine Swine
          Fine Swine commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee thanks. Your comment made me measure the millivolts out of the probe. Added some heat and notice the mv going up. Tested out in some boiling water and they work again! I guess you just have to keep those wires dry.

I ordered one to replace my bbq probe, will report once I get it. Thanks for the warning. The Genesis has holes for a rotisserie which accept the cable just fine, and when the lid is open I have all the space I need to lay the cable

The plug that stick into the unit seems pretty well protected against rain, never had issues with that. I just ruined one probe today when I put it on the wet sidetable during clean-up :-/ I will try Huskee's oven-trick, though...

Comment

I have them, but I still avoid submerging them in water. I treat them more like splash proof. They don't have a curve in the probe and they are about a quarter inch in diameter where the wires connect to the probe.

Comment

• top_gun_de
            top_gun_de commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I don't plan to do a Deliberaze test, either

Speaking of the thermoworks probes, will they work in a maverick, or a Guru?

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Not with a Maverick. Not sure about Guru but very doubtful. They're usually made brand-specific so you have to buy their replacements.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here