Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever use your 732 as a fry thermometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever use your 732 as a fry thermometer?

I have a analog bulb style fry thermometer that I have used for several years but it's inconsistent. Sometimes my frys come out a little greasy because if under-temp oil. Now that I have digital probe I'm wondering if I can use it in fry oil and if so, should I use the bbq or the meat probe. It's lent now and fish fry time!

I never have used that, but I have used an instant read like my Thermapen. I'd go with the longer meat probe if you go that route.

Also, the higher the grease temp, the more grease that goes into the food due to more water being displaced OUT the food, which in turn gets replaced with the grease/oil.

And yes, that soggy surface ain't good to bite down on. Just don't let someone tell you the food is less greasy because of hotter cooking oil.

Comment

Good thought on the Thermapen, Jerod. Duh!! Thanks!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw it in your sig so I knew I was good mentioning it

The Mavrick LT-03 infrared thermometer is my favorite way of measuring oil temp. Especially with the skillet fry.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        If I had an infrared I don't think I would ever be able to put it down.

• Syko
        Syko commented
        Editing a comment
        They are certainly proof that magic exist.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here