Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maverick Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oswaldt
    replied
    Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and ordered a set of replacement probes and I'm going to try baking the two that aren't working. We'll see what happens with those...

If anyone has ideas on alternatives feel free to still post though. It adds up getting the replacement probes and I've got other toys I need to get for my WSM. :-)

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Best probes i've had yet are from the cheapo units from Lowes, my daughter misplaced my display yesterday and I went and grabbed a new one for like $20, this one has the same probe as the Maverick, the last one had a hi temp silicone. I can buy the cheapo units cheaper than I can find a source for good probes so I use the probes and scavenge the other parts.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Try baking the failed probes in the oven for an hour or so at 350F to 400F. Plug them into the Maverick and see if at some point they don't start working again. This has worked for me in the past.

Leave a comment:

• IrondeQuer
    replied
    I have one that went haywire too. If I'm careful with how I place it under the lid of the WSM or kettle, it still works okay. I do have a spare in reserve, just in case. I've not heard of any better alternatives than the Maverick.

Leave a comment:

• charchamp
    commented on 's reply
    good idea, let us know if it works; you can be the guinea pig.

• mgaretz
    replied
    I had one meat probe fail and I didn't immerse it in water or kink it, so no idea what caused it to fail. The good news is that replacement probes are pretty cheap on Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    I haven't had any fail but I have new back ups in my bag just in case

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I've only kinked one pretty bad in a kettle that made it meet its demise. I need to test another that went haywire one day.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    I've actually considered applying some food grade hi heat rtv silicon to mine and tring to get a better seal
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 29, 2014, 08:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    there's not a thermoworks remote...

But when they do I'm going there. I've heard tell K probes are indestructible.

EDIT: Well they do have data logging stuff in rf wireless
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 29, 2014, 08:19 PM.

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    You might want to check Thermoworks. But I don't think they have remote capability.

From what I understand, that is a weak link on probes in general. I have not got my hands on any of Thermoworks' probes.

Leave a comment:

• oswaldt
    started a topic Maverick Alternative

Maverick Alternative

I love my Maverick thermometer, I really do... Problem is my probes have failed twice now. The first time because I didn't now about how allergic they are to water and the second time because some helpful family members washed them (it was a looong cook and I was napping). Any good alternatives that have more resilient probes while offering alarms, remote unit, etc.?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here