Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meater: Wireless Smart Meat Thermometer (Kickstarter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meater: Wireless Smart Meat Thermometer (Kickstarter)

I ordered the Meater Block (extended range) with 4 wireless probes. The iOS interface looks slick & comparable to iDevices' (i.e. iGrill). Has anyone else checked them out or ordered one?

There was a thread here a few weeks ago.

Comment

I backed it. They are getting the production phase started up. I'm excited to see if these work as advertised. If so, they should be a great thermometer option.

Comment

Ernest I searched but didn't see it. I will look again.

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
        There was a thread here a few weeks ago.

Comment

I feel exactly the same way. Too bad we can't have them for Thanksgiving cooks.

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
        I backed it. They are getting the production phase started up. I'm excited to see if these work as advertised. If so, they should be a great thermometer option.

Comment

Oh, I think a few people must have known about it. It's the most successful Kickstarter drive in history.
          Hopefully, the product is immensely successful as well.

Best regards,
          JIm

Comment

Thanks Powersmoke_80

Comment

I backed Meater for four probes, but am skeptical how long they'll last, especially in a smoker. My prediction is that they'll work pretty well indoors in ovens. In smokers, they'll get so dirty and be so hard to keep clean that they'll be a pain to use and might even tend towards breaking in a fairly short amount of time.

I hope this is wrong though which means I'll have 4 that awesome new thermometers!

Comment

I backed them this morning for four also. Hope I'm not disappointed!

Comment

If I read correctly, the probes use bluetooth to connect to your phone. The "block" will connect to wi-fi, and to the probes via bluetooth, giving you internet access to the probes/data, and overcome any bluetooth connection issues by placing the block where it can connect both to the probes (bluetooth) and to your wireless network (wi-fi). With the block being wood it would need to be inside, unless I guess you put it in a ziplock bag when raining, etc. The block is also a charger for 4 probes.

Probes are dual meat and air temp. Maximums are 212 and 527 degrees. I don't see any problem with the 212 for meat, but when searing over raging hot coals (SnS for example), will 527 be a problem?
                  Last edited by fuzzydaddy; December 8, 2015, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• jholmgren
                    jholmgren commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would think you would reverse-sear to a few degress off your desired temp, pull the meater and hit the afterburners. I don't even leave my wired probes in when I sear, I do final temp checks with my Thermapen.

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good point Guest and that's what I would do.
                    This is the statement they make: "The shaft of the MEATER probe is made of stainless steel and the handle is made of ceramic that can withstand very high temperatures. We ensure high heat searing of your steaks will not be a problem."

In an email on the 11th.
                  Production Update

"We are currently running engineering samples of the MEATER probe that include the new battery and improved mechanical design. The overall look of the MEATER probe is unaffected but the internals have been made simpler to improve mass production manufacturability. Clearly, due to the changes in the design and addition of better components, we will not be able to ship MEATER in January. Although this is a bummer, I'm sure you agree an improved MEATER product will be worth the wait."

Comment

Originally posted by JohnF View Post
                    In an email on the 11th.
                    Production Update

"We are currently running engineering samples of the MEATER probe that include the new battery and improved mechanical design. The overall look of the MEATER probe is unaffected but the internals have been made simpler to improve mass production manufacturability. Clearly, due to the changes in the design and addition of better components, we will not be able to ship MEATER in January. Although this is a bummer, I'm sure you agree an improved MEATER product will be worth the wait."
                    It is precisely this that always gives me pause for thought on Kickstarter, etc. I've been disappointed before in these kinds of deals. I much prefer to order these articles when they reach market, have been reviewed, and have some kind of operational experience behind them. It's just easier for me not to invest the psychic energy and then be disappointed.

Comment

• DJ DeSpain
                      DJ DeSpain commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I like to think of Kickstarter as the new and improved model of the investors model. Meaning, I am an investor, but my incentive is not the cash on return, but the discount of the purchase up front, plus whatever bonus features awarded for trust in the product and the inventor(s) behind it.
                      Last edited by DJ DeSpain; December 14, 2015, 09:51 PM.

They certainly have taken the money out of my account!

Comment

JohnF CeramicChef While it's a bummer for the delay I surely agree with them on this- I'd rather when I get it, that it be a quality piece of equipment that wasn't hastily rushed out just to 'meat' demand. I appreciate their honesty and integrity.

Comment

• JohnF
                        JohnF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Huskee, I don't have a problem, I just posted the above as a heads up for those that have skin in the game.

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        JohnF gotcha. I figured that's what you meant too. I really want to love this product and I am very optimistic. I have wanted something like this for at least a couple years. They seem like not only a smart coupla guys but their background in BBQ basics really has me in good spirits about the whole thing.

They are just prepping you for it's done when it's done

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lol, good point. It's not done by a clock, it's done when it's ready!

• Drbearsec
                        Drbearsec commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The George RR Martins of BBQ Accessories.

• _John_
                        _John_ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Drbearsec all I know about him other than being late is hot women and dragons, half of my favorite things.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here