Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Predictive Thermometer (Meater Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predictive Thermometer (Meater Alternative)

I'm not sure how much it'll cost or even how well it will perform but it looks interesting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	eA6s0l1.jpg
Views:	1520
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1159436

They are doing 30% off for preorders. Preorders will start at the end of the month.

Hmmm... Ublock flags that link as being listed on malware blacklists... click through with caution (I didn't).

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      I getcha! I'm overly paranoid on trying to filter out the bad guys...

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I'm glad you said something. Malwarebytes didn't pop up an alert for me and I thought I recalled signing up for updates on the product. It hadn't occurred to me it could be a fake product or that the link could spread malware.

• tdimond
      tdimond commented
      Editing a comment
      uBlock blocks ads I click on from Dell and Lowe's. Something's I think it's a little too conservative.

Mods, feel free to delete this thread if you think it's shady.

Comment

I think it is pretty interesting. I am curious how the charting and sharing abilities stack up.

Comment

I got that today too. Just a bit sceptical until I see it in use and reviewed by I duno Meathead's team. Just sayin' looks good but I'll wait.
        Last edited by RichieB; January 14, 2022, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I am gonna say this is $160 with the 30% discount.

Comment

Funny I got this email today and deleted it not knowing what it was. Your post made me go back and look at it. Definitely curious but def would not pre-order this.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I probably won't either.

Having not clicked through, all I have to go on is the photo showing a remote unit with an LCD screen. I can't imagine that could ever portray the temperature data as nicely as the Meater app does. And the M+ is a hundred bucks...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210925-182016.jpg
Views:	1338
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1159655

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              All I know is someday I want a wireless thermometer. I just don't which one or when I'll get it.

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              I recall another poster alerted us to the product and asked us to be referrals. At least that is how I now get the emails.

Didn’t we go through this a bunch of months ago on this idea/scam?

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Did we? Please fill us in.

uBlock flags this as an ad or tracking site and not as malware. As long as you don't mind being tracked or fed ads, the link is safe to click through.

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              Attjack - not necessarily, I was just commenting on the reason the link was flagged by uBlock. I opened the link in one of my sandboxed virtual machines and just wanted to report that there was no malware involved, just to ease the minds of those who may have clicked through and not been warned about the link. Loads of links in the search results of most search engines take you to a tracking site first and then redirect.

• DaveD
              DaveD commented
              Editing a comment
              Way to go pkadare! That is the way to test it out. Thanks for the update.

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              DaveD I work for Microsoft in the Azure Security group so I have "a particular set of skills" and access to some tools. 😎

This was shared a couple times a while back. I think it’s legit.

Comment

Here's the direct link to that site that avoids the tracking site.
              Combustion Inc.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                I use duck duck go.

I’ve been using the MEATER Block since it first shipped (after a THREE YEAR kickstarter campaign!🤦🏽). It works well and I don’t often complain about it.

Definitely nice to not have to worry about wires. When a cook is over I can wrap and hold (oven or cambro) with the thermometer still in place, and move each cut individually - while constantly monitoring temps!

Comment

Here is the thread from May, 2021. Same message, same "offer". I do believe this is not legit.

Combustion Inc. - Pitmaster Club (amazingribs.com)

Comment

• GolfGeezer
                  GolfGeezer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, it is the exact same offer or seems to be. However, everyone is free to give their email and see if anything more comes of it other than potentially more spam/phishing stuff.

• Maxriptin
                  Maxriptin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The same offer has been in place for over a year if I remember correctly. Judging by the backing of the company, it certainly seems legitimate to me. Just a different way of marketing and getting the word out. Hopefully they can deliver on their anticipated timeline. I'd hate to go through the fiasco that was the Meater Kickstarter mess

• tdimond
                  tdimond commented
                  Editing a comment
                  GolfGeezer I keep a throwaway Hotmail account for the stuff like that.

Well if anyone wants to sign up and generate $10 for me, here is the link:

http://trk.klclick.com/ls/click?upn=...iCZtYZGg-3D-3D

I do not think this is a scam. Look at who is running this company.

Combustion Inc. was founded by Chris Young in 2020. Prior to this, Chris was the founder and CEO of ChefSteps, best known for their online cooking videos and market-leading sous vide appliance, Joule. Chris was also the coauthor, with Nathan Myhrvold, of Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking.

Comment

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would have but I’m already on the pre-order list. The email I received today from them indicates shipping should start soon after things clear Customs and some in house testing of the first batch.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here