Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard probes in deep fried turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard probes in deep fried turkey?

I have a Fireboard 2 Pro with the type K probes. Going to fry a turkey this year. Anybody got an opinion about those meat probes holding up in submerged oil? I would assume they are rated for it and that Fireboard would tell me they will hold up fine. But in reality is that the case?

The definition of ASSUME; Make an ASS out of U and ME

Comment

I don't think Fireboard would recommend them for that use case. From their FAQ:
      Attached Files

Comment

• mgood777
        mgood777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah that's good. Thanks for finding and sharing.

Yeah the k-probes can take high heat, but no BBQ probes I'm aware of can be submerged. There's a different type of probe for that. Honestly with fried turkey I've never had one undercooked when following timing charts, and even slightly overcooked when fried doesn't matter.

Comment

I’m in the I wouldn’t advise that camp. If you are uncertain of internal temp. Pop it out and check it in a few locations.

Comment

Don't do it......

...oh sorry that was a frozen turkey into hot oil. Save the probe for another day and application !!!

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            These are ALWAYS fun to do!! Exploding Christmas tree demos, too!!! Loved the reactions from the spectators.

If you have a long probe, can't you just insert it from above and keep the connection to the wire out of the oil? I can't imagine having it in the bird is any different whether the bird is in a smoker, grill or in oil.

Thermoworks makes a 12" probe. I'm not sure if they are compatible with the Fireboard. I didn't see one that long at the Fireboard site.

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.
          Last edited by IdahoJim; November 8, 2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I'm in the "There's only one way to find out" camp. Not with my probes, of course, but I'm perfectly willing to see what happens with your probes!

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              I never like experimenting with my probe.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahahahaha, Eric, I guess I quit experimenting with my probe about 21 years ago as well!

I use mine every time i deep fry the turkey, it works fine.

Comment

Thermoworks makes what you are looking for. It has a 12" shaft. I think K types are all standard and should work, but I'd call Thermoworks to check, and they might have a better suggestion.

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

And I wouldn't insert the probe until the oil settles down...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here