Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing... The MEATER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing... The MEATER

I've got to say... if this contraption lives up to it's claims, i will be a buyer.
    Apption Labs is raising funds for Meater: The First Truly Wireless Smart Meat Thermometer on Kickstarter! Meater is the only wire-free meat thermometer that will guarantee perfectly cooked meats every time you cook.

Just pledged for the 4 prob set. Got the Carson rotisserie off the Kick start from a while back. Have not opened it as yet because I have been working on my outdoor kitchen. Between weather, suppliers, and subcontractors it is taking much longer to do. Will post when it is finished and have opened the new toys.

Comment

Very interesting. BUT it doesn't specify the "wireless connection"

Never mind I found it.
      Last edited by Ernest; September 23, 2015, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
        Koy Schoppe commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought it said it is blu tooth to the the phone/device for the App, and then your home WiFi if you get the block extender (which you can then check smoker temp via internet from anywhere, that is what interest me).

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I finally read the whole page. interesting concept but Blutooth range is horrible. I wish they'd just do WiFi right out of the gate.

Looks promising

Comment

If it performs as advertised then I am VERY impressed. What sold me was the ambient sensor built into each probe. Rock on, Meater team. I just worry exactly how long those little mother boards will hold up being subjected to temp extremes so often. I predict 3 months of use then kapooey....hope I'm wrong.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          CurlingDog the thought crossed my mind that they'd have utilized something like that. Glad to hear the tech's available.

• DJ DeSpain
          DJ DeSpain commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree about the boards, I gambled on the external end encased in ceramic to help also cut down on the the high heat exposure.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          It sounds like the sensitive parts of the probes are buried within the meat so the highest temps they'll experience should be around 203? There's a safe mark on the probe. I'm assuming you have to at least insert the probe that deep or risk exposing the sensitive parts of the probe to more extreme temps.

No probe wires to go bad. I'm in!

Comment

This will be fun to watch. I'll wait until the bugs get worked out. What I love is that there are no wires to worry about when you want to flip the meat. Obviously no searing with these in.

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
            Koy Schoppe commented
            Editing a comment
            They actually said that you could take them up to 527 degrees, and then later said that was a "safe" number with a buffer of 150 degrees applied to it..... But I would be nervous doing it.

DAMMIT.... I can not resist any kitchen gadget with BlueTooth and/or WiFi. <grumble> I'm in for the 4 probe set with the block. Curse you CurlingDog !!!

Comment

Kickstarter? No thanks. Just wait for the retail version to come out, there's no rush. If, as I suspect, it will be full of bugs, you'll have saved yourself a lot of money and trouble. If it's not and the reviews are good, you can still buy it at retail.

Comment

Lost in China - I've had some good results with Kickstarter... and I've had some "meh" results. In general I enjoy the process of funding 'the little guy' who had an idea and the ambition to get out there and give it a try.

If it was something that I would probably buy retail, I'm good with paying a little less for what might be a small gamble. I generally won't go more than $100 or so - and then it has to be something I really like. If it doesn't get funded... no harm. If it does and it's buggy - I've seen free replacement products or special deals on a v2.0 of the widget for backers, especially if it is really successful. Either way - if nobody stepped up and everyone waited for retail... it wouldn't get funded at all.

Comment

OK words from the old guy. the probe looks a little thick to me all you smart people I need help my phone is a little old ( 2 cans and a long string ) will it work for me or do you have to have a fancy phone with internet remember I am typing with 2 fingers and by the time I finish this little note it will be obsolete. I still don't know how to up load pictures on to my pc to put them on this site and with the problems I have been having with my Thermoworks probes with wires I am having trust issues. any and all help would be deeply appreciated. is Meathead going to rate this thing that would be interesting to see.

Comment

• Yelnoc
                  Yelnoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You have to have a smart phone. And as far as the thickness of the probe - it looks about twice the thickness of traditional probes but I can't think of anything I cook that requires a thin probe and a thin piece of meat is difficult at best to put a probe in without it being to close to the surface anyway IMO. I am lucky on steaks and burgers as I can't make mine rare enough and can't cook the wife's too long. Just boil some water and stick your thermo probe in to see what it reads at boiling...

Papa Bob, I am a Techno-Saurous , I feel Your Pain, I love your Dog! Dan

Comment

• Papa Bob
                  Papa Bob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Dan he was my best friend.

Perhaps Bill McGrath can get his hands on one when they're available and put it through its paces for us.

Comment

Looks a bit thinner than a pencil, so thicker than the wired probes?... yes Too thick?... I don't think so but that's just my opinion.

I just got an email about 2 hours ago. They are now fully funded through Kickstarter - took them less than 2 days to raise $100k+.

Yes, you'll need a 'modern' phone that can run an app. I assume they'll be like most and release apps for the Apple iOS devices and Android devices. Sadly, flip phones are probably not in-scope.

Comment

Probe is 6mm, I'm in for a 4 pack and Block, I waste more than that renting Beer.
                    Last edited by JohnF; September 24, 2015, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      renting beer, love it!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here