Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MEATER Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MEATER Block

Hello....thinking about getting the Block. Looking for the good, bad, and the meaty from those who have it and use it. Does anyone know if they do Black Friday deals? Thanks

Been using mine for a while now. Works approximately as described, but with a couple of drawbacks. The probe is really thick, so not good for thin cuts. Leaves a fair sized hole in roasts. Also, if you move your cook indoors (say to rest) you must move the block with you or connection will likely be lost. The probe cannot handle very hot direct heat, so not good for searing. Other than that…
    Last edited by Texas Larry; October 16, 2021, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• TexasRob
      TexasRob commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate your feedback!

I bought the Kickstarter one a few years back. I didn't care for it once it finally arrived The ambient sensors (rear, square end of probes) and the meat sensors (tips) were all off from each other sitting side by side on my counter. Several degrees off, not 1 or 2. The range was a big issue as well. Wouldn't read outside of my thick stickburner. Wouldn't go far when using with my kettles. So I couldn't trust the temps and the range was poor. I would hope they've since improved things from these earliest models, but that's all I can offer you. I put mine somewhere and have zero clue where it even is, that's how much I personally value the thing

Comment

• TexasRob
      TexasRob commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate your honest opinion.

I also have the Gen 1 version. My experiences are the same as above. However I still use it for rotisserie cooking. It’s close enough and when the meat is getting close to done I switch to my instant read hand held.

Comment

What Huskee said, but if ya want to try one fer cheap, you can have mine for $100...

Comment

I have a friend who just bought the latest version (Gen 4) and is very happy with it. You can now connect to WiFi in addition to Bluetooth with good range. The company was recently bought by Traeger so there should be good money behind it moving forward. I would consider purchasing it, but my FireBoard is still meeting my needs, but no wires is tempting.

Comment

Bill did a review in 2019. Not sure what gen it was.

The Meater Block is a novel approach to the wireless temperature measurement product category. While most competing products employ temperature probes tethered to a transmitter by a braided wire, the Meater builds the transmitter and battery to power it into the probe itself.

Comment

For $300 bucks I would kinda hope it would export charts so we can share them on the Pit.

Comment

My Traeger Timberline 850 has WIFI, I enjoy it. I can monitor my cooks from afar. The probe is wired.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here