Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThermoWorks DOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThermoWorks DOT

Having done several smoked chickens and a couple of ribs, it's time to get a thermometer for my WSM. I like the Thermopop, so I'm wondering what you guys and gals think of the ThermoWorks DOT? I'd use it for both internal temperature and smoker temperature.

I like mine, I just wish it had 2 ports for the probes. How I use mine is I have an air temp probe that I plug in until I get the temp regulated. Once I get comfortable with my cooker temp I switch over to the meat probe. One of these days I will blow the dust off of my wallet and buy a Maverick ET-732 or ET-733 so I don't have to go outside all of the time to check on the temps.

Comment

Craigar, thanks for the reply.

Comment

Surely the DOT is a fine thermometer, but I second the recommendation for the Maverick 732 for an outdoor smoker. You just can't beat the wireless receiver.

Comment

Huskee, thanks, but I try to avoid technology away from work!

Comment

I have two Thermoworks Dots' and two Chefalarms. They're both very accurate but if I was going to purchase another one, I would go with the ChefAlarm. It's much heavier and offers more features for the money. Right now its priced at $49.00 with the Dot at $39.00. I've had the Dot on a windy day blow off my grilling table! Like Huskee said, you can't go wrong with the Mavericks'. I have three of them. On several occasions I've used them all at the same time on a big cook. Whatever you decide on, they won't end up in the junk drawer.

Comment

I know you want to stay away from tech. But the Mavericks are perfect. Not hard at all to use and you get the alarm when your not by the smoker. They are a no brainer in my very humble opinion.

Comment

I have a DOT and a ChefAlarm. I have a love/hate relationship with my DOT. I think it is great for some applications: quick check if you have multiple probes and you can just plug and unplug, if you have instant read probe it is great for getting to back of a larger pit and checking temp because you can get your head back out of the smoke with the cord, etc... The problem I have is it is not backlit and my the numbers on my screen aren't working well now. So you because of the digital numbers you may not know if it is a 5 or 6 because that one bar doesn't light up correctly.

Comment

I have 2 DOTs... They rock!

Comment

I have a Dot and and I think it's great. It comes with a straight probe but I also got a curved one. I don't use it for smoking (ET-732 for that) but I use it for cooking indoors, primarily with my Breville Smart Oven. I used to use one of those that had presets for various meats, and while it could do a user defined setting, it was not intuitive on how to set it. The Dot is easy-peasey and not complicated with a lot of extra bells and whistles.

Comment

I'll add my thumbs up for the Mav ET-732. It just works and is no fuss easy to use.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here