Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got my Fireboard 2 Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my Fireboard 2 Pro

Battery was at 1% and we're headed out for the day... I don't think my wife noticed the box, but if I don't post a initial impressions and review tomorrow you know she noticed it and I didn't survive...

Downloading the app and setting up the account was easy, I did have a little issue getting the WiFi setup it kept saying wrong password for about 5 attempts, but then it took and now I just need to wait for the battery and time to cook tomorrow

Looking forward to hearing more! I have the regular FireBoard 2 now and think it’s fantastic.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack - The regular can run a fan with the Drive cable. It's the same cable that is used to run a fan on the first generation FB.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I originally had a FireBoard 1 with Drive cable. When I got the FireBoard 2, I did not get the FB2 Drive since I already have the cable.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry all, still new to this thing, was thinking the non-drive cable thing had something to do with a battery.

You can plug in one of the backup batteries used for phones and use the Fireboard without waiting for a charge

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      Editing a comment
      I know, and I have one... but I'm heading out in a few minutes and have a cook planned for tomorrow already

Enjoy and will add I'm jealous.

Comment

I know what you mean about the WiFi password... mine does that, too, and it's the original Fireboard. Has to be something with the software/app, but whatever. I know I was typing it in right, I checked several times.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        Seems to have been a one time thing for setup only. Does it ever forget the wifi? If not I'm not gonna be too worried about it.

The original will run the fan with its battery, or you can add a portable battery to the fireboard if you need a longer run. I believe the Pro will run the fan without the adapter cable. I’ve never tried powering the fan with the110 adapter, on a full charge the thermometer and fan will easily go 12 hrs.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        Correct, the Pro (like the Drive) is plug and play with the fan. Dunno or care at this point what the batter life with the fan is, since I don't have it or anything for it to run on. But I did buy it with the intention of one day possibly having a cooker to utilize that feature

Kinda jealous, I wish I would have bought the Pro since I got the MAK to interchange with their probes and feel more comfortable using at really high temps. Still might some day though. I just have a ton of the FB jack style probes.
      Last edited by glitchy; September 19, 2021, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        yeah with this purchase I am able to donate my ThermoPro to an aspiring grill master and then I will only have K probes in the house.

Nice purchase! Did you get the free T-shirt too? (That was their Labor Day Weekend promo, as I recall.)

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; September 19, 2021, 06:27 AM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        No, I really wanted to buy this on Amazon since I had a $200 gift card but the Pro isn't in stock on Amazon. I tried to use Amazon checkout through fireboard but I couldn't figure out how to apply gift card balance... waited a little bit after reaching out to Fireboard and they didn't know when it would be on Amazon so I just bought it "full price". A T shirt woulda made me feel a little better but whatever

So far I'm impressed, while the MAK wifi and graphing is archaic and simple, it's very easy to use and it works. But over longer cooks it starts averaging which is fine for monitoring but leaves a little to be desired.

The Fireboard on the other hand feels simple, but more sophisticated at the same time. And while the graph appears to average you can hover over a time and it will give you a lot more data than I can get on the MAK. I still need to learn the menus, and At some point I need to figure out a better location for the fireboard to live when using on the MAK (magnets aren't an option on the full stainless 2 star)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210919_095222.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	1096718
      Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; September 19, 2021, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you working with it in the web interface at FireBoard.com? You can do all sorts of nifty stuff there. The smart phone app is good, too.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        ecowper I'm messing with both Lots to learn

Unfortunately I had to reset the fireboard so lost the startup part of the graph for a full comparison. Channel 1 is as close to the MAKs thermocouple at the standard location I could get (it can move around the pit). Channel 2 is in the MAK warming box just to give me more data to play with.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	19 Sep MAK.PNG Views:	0 Size:	52.2 KB ID:	1096721
      Click image for larger version  Name:	19 Sep Fireboard.PNG Views:	0 Size:	32.5 KB ID:	1096720
      Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; September 19, 2021, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Dunno what I did, was just clicking things, was gonna complain I didn't have time on the graph... Then suddenly it added the data from before I restarted it... Guess I got a reading assignment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	0 Size:	40.8 KB ID:	1096729
        Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; September 19, 2021, 08:33 AM.

Comment

A couple tips that will make your data much more useful. You can click on the channel and then you can rename it and set temp alerts. If you click on edit session, you can name the session (this is very helpful when you are trying to find that one pork butt cook because you did something unique, but you have 100+ sessions). If you click on the graph, you can insert notes and pictures (that’s where the blue dots are at on this graph).

Click image for larger version

Name:	E2B1B861-E6D5-4053-94E7-3285325B474D.png
Views:	394
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1096733

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            Editing a comment
            yep those are the features I plan on diving into hard next weekend. I'm horrible with not writing down what I did so I almost always produce good to great food... just never can replicate it 100%. I'm hoping the Fireboard will kinda nudge me into better note taking

And I have now paid the price... This morning my wife was like "this is the thing you spent $350 on?" and of course I was like "well I got other stuff too" which was true, I got a few probe organizers with it But that was the end of the conversation and she was still talking to me and I didn't feel like I needed to hide any knives or try and find a poison tester to hire for the next few weeks...

"Oh honey, we need a new vacuum"

There it is, I saw this coming. So I find her a nice renewed Dyson V11 on Amazon for 589 bucks... nope she wants brand new. I wouldn't call it a sale, but got lucky and found the new V15 on the online AAFES website, snagged the last one for no tax and free shipping... but my wife won this round for sure... So my new Fireboard has coast me an additional $689

But on the bright side, the V8 Dyson downstairs will move upstairs and the old Dyson DC59 will end out it's life as my MAK vac until the BBQ gods kill it.

Comment

BTW for those into gadgets - aren't we all?- check out Dyson's new autobiography, "Invention: A Life." The Audible version is read by Dyson.

Comment

Started playing with alarms and such, I like that it is literally an instant app notification. On my MAK you have to set alarms for 1 degree below what you want it because of the delay to when it actually texts or emails you.

Lots of things I like, the only gripe I have so far is that the probe ports aren't labeled (ie 1, 2, 3). On the pro model I guess it's not a huge deal since there's only 3 probe inputs. And with time I suppose I'll get muscle memory which is which. It's a minor gripe, but for the price...

I also got the fireboard probe holders. I absolutely do not like them. I watched the video on them before splurging, but really they are too bulky. Ok they can hold 2 probes... but if the one you want is wound underneath the other one... Whatever. I would never leave them on the probe holder anyway in use, but I can see where a kettle or other cooker owner might. On my MAK the fireboard has to sit on the hopper lid, on the ground, or (I haven't tested the wifi viability of this yet) under the grill behind the door. So the probe cables are just long enough to reach from any of those spots to the grill or to the warming box. Others may like the probe holders, but I store mine inside the house in a drawer and 2 high doesn't work because of how thick they are.

Comment

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                I don’t really like their probe spools either. I use 3D printed ones from eBay and want some of the Thermoworks spools. Maybe you should sell the Stainless and keep the old MAK, my FB sticks right above the fan in the magnetic case . Or you could find a small strip of steel and span two bolts somewhere on the SS.

• TxF
                TxF commented
                Editing a comment
                1 probe per holder works best, if you do 2 make sure they same type of probe.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                Editing a comment
                TxF I would actually like them if they were designed as a single probe holder. the sq inches of the base is fine, but the height isn't conducive to drawer use.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here