Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ET-732 issues & anybody have something better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ET-732 issues & anybody have something better?

I bought a 732 and used it yesterday for a 13 hr cook on an 8 lb butt. It did the trick but seemed to be "out of range" when inside, 50'ish feet from the base unit. I knew the probes were only 3 ft long going into it and wow, that's to short unless I hang the base off my ash catcher. I saw replacement probes that are 6 ft, but hesitate to drop another $40-50 on those because I think they may prove to be a weak link from poor design. As it is I would probably hang the base from a wire off the ash catcher...or find a weber side table. After reading the reviews on here and other places it would seem the et-732 or 733 are the only options for a radio freq. remote ( which is needed for decent range ) that will let me monitor both pit and pig from a distance. I think there's a glitch in mine where it would freeze up and not respond to the buttons so it's getting returned.
    The inquiry is; another 732, 733 ? or has anyone anything else out there
    I know of igrill2 and other bluetooth units but am worried the bluetooth will be even more blocked to me inside the house than the mavericks. Radio frequency almost always will penetrate structures more effeciently.

You need to call Maverick. They have great customer service and will take very good care of you.

Comment

• w0nq
      w0nq commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'll see what they have to tell me.

The Tappecue has it's shortcomings(needs 120V power, not waterproof) but it does a really nice job of maintaining the Wi-Fi link. You run their app on your smartphone and you can even check temps while you're out running errands. It also keeps a log of your current session on their website so you can watch it on a web browser plus you can download the data after the cook and graph it in an Excel spreadsheet.

I had the same problem with the Maverick, signal wouldn't reach the other end of the house so I had to use a timer to remind me to go check it every 15 minutes or so. Kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm pretty happy with the Tappecue.

HTH,
    Bill

Comment

• w0nq
      w0nq commented
      Editing a comment
      That's an interesting set up, I'll do a little reading up on it. Thanks

These days I'm really liking the iGrill2...

Comment

• w0nq
      w0nq commented
      Editing a comment
      Whats a practical range with the bluetooth? I mean, going in the house and having a few walls between you and the base….I was afraid I'd be limited by the range.

• Livermoron
      Livermoron commented
      Editing a comment
      I generally only have one wall (or sliding glass door) between me and the unit. Two rooms if I have to go to the kitchen for anything...but it's still a straight, unobstructed shot...

I bought the 6ft probes from Maverick for the 732 and haven't used the 3ft ones since. They work great and the extra lenght is worth it. I get more than 50ft with mine but I make sure the receiver is lined up near an open hallway. More than 2-3 walls in between and you will lose reception.

Comment

By the way, I also use the Digiq X2. When using both, once the meat comes up to temp a little, the food and temp probes between the Maverick 732 and Digiq read within a degree or two of each other.

Comment

Thanks, I know a lot they sell a ton of them & with anything, some will fail. I have a replacement on the way. I'm thinking I'll make a table to snuggle up to the kettle so the 3 ft probes won't be an issue & I'll pick up a little workspace too.

Comment

Originally posted by Livermoron View Post
          These days I'm really liking the iGrill2...
          The iGrill advertises 150 feet. I generally stay pretty close to the pit (and the bourbon) so I've never strayed out of range...

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
            Powersmoke_80 commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe in a straight line outdoors with no obstructions. I have an original igrill and it will not work past two interior walls with a doorway in each in line if i go around the corner at less than 20 feet.

Put a BBQ guru wifi on the list, you will have complete wireless controll and wifi, there's also the flame boss which is supposed to be an easier set up

Comment

I've read the metal antenna in the ET 732 can sometimes short out, causing range issues. You can fix this by opening it up and making sure the antenna isn't touching itself. Wish I could find the reference for this.

Comment

I have the 732 and the 733. They have both been very good units and reception for me has been pretty good. I returned a 735 (bluetooth) as reception was terrible and purchased the 733. With the 735 I couldn't move around the house at all without losing signal. I think you'll find this is true of most if not all bluetooth thermometers. For the money, the 732 and 733 are great little units. When I have some big bucks saved up, I'll start looking at the wireless options out there.

Comment

I have the ET-732 and iGrill2. The iGrill2 gets MUCH better range than the Maverick but it still loses signal on my phone if I go more than 2 rooms away.

Comment

Speaking of range, I used to work for a large electronics retailer back in the late 80's-90's. One of the product buyers once told me that they tested maximum range for 'radio' devices out on large bodies of water. Flat surface, no interference. Of course back then it was mainly CB radios and early cordless phones, but the point is still the same. The Max range is under absolutely perfect conditions - which you will likely never duplicate in the home environment.

Love my CyberQ WiFi. My home wireless network easily reaches the deck outside and once it is connected to the home network I can control it from anywhere I have Internet access.

Comment

I'm going to call today on my 732. Have used it a few times. Works great for 10-15 minutes, then loses the transmitter signal. The transmitter is 20 ft away, and the signal only has the sliding glass door to go through.

Comment

• Siouxfan
                      Siouxfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I ended up writing an email. Received a response within 24hrs to return the unit and I will receive a replacement! Great customer service!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here