Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chef Alarm no probe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chef Alarm no probe?

I have two Chef Alarms from ThermoWorks, and from one I get a "No Probe" reading, I can plug either probe into the other unit and they work fine.
    But not in this unit.

Bad unit or ???
    TIA

Sounds like to me the unit is belly up in the dead cockroach position.

@Kevin Fuess is correct, I missed read the comment as no response from the unit. Sounds like the unit is not reading the probe. Bad probe is a good guess.

Last edited by bbqLuv; August 31, 2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

If you get the "No Probe" alert then it's not a battery issue. (but try replacing batteries first)
      I would go with bad unit.

Comment

Call ThermoWorks.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Really, Call ThermoWorks? and bypass our input and get the correct answer and a replacement on the way.
          Why did not I think of that?

A little web searching found they have a chat feature, and yes, units bad.

Missed it the first time, talked to a tech and new unit on way already.
        Great customer service...!!

Thanks all.

Al

Comment

""Really, Call ThermoWorks? and bypass our input and get the correct answer and a replacement on the way.
          Why did not I think of that?""

Because it usually takes longer than I wanted to sit on a phone for, and mainly to make sure I hadn't done something to the unit the instructions didn't mention.

Al

Comment

Try removing the batteries for at least several days. I accidentally "cured" a "dead" Chefalarm by doing that a few years ago. Chalk it up to magic, I guess …

Comment

L I B ThermoWorks WORKs!

Comment

could be "foreign material" (BBQ sauce) on the probe connector. Occasionally my "Smoke" will say no probe, I exercise the plug a bit and it reads. I figured humidity and corrosion maybe but probably BBQ sauce as I seem to get it everywhere!

Comment

I had similar issue with my DOT. I took the batteries out, removed the screws and split the case. I found one of the wires to the probe female jack had broken off. I resoldered the wire back on the jack and all is well.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did you also fly to Afghanistan and confiscate some free parts from the new Taliban repo depo?

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here