Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always worthwhile to check your fridge on occasion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My goal is to understand the differences between refrigerators and fridges [spam link removed by Huskee]. Give your opinion or provide quality material.
    Last edited by Larrymusk; September 22, 2021, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      My opinion is about 7 letters

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahem…..6

Just ordered one of these. Refrigerator acting a little crazy. Got one picked out at HomeDepot.com just case she goes into a potential vegetable state.

Comment

Got an email from Thermoworks: their fridge/freezer thermometers are 40% off today.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Now's the time to act on a small investment to potentially save a person big money.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks WTFF, I grabbed 4 of them!

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Just ordered one for the garage fridge/freezer.

Wow, placed my order at 8:20 AM PDT and notified it shipped at 9:35 AM.

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine shipped 30 minutes after I ordered. They're moving!

• WillTravelForFood
      WillTravelForFood commented
      Editing a comment
      They're really good with their shipping, and talking to them on the phone is awesome.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      And don't forget the Jelly Bellies!! A very fine touch!

Thanks. I needed a few more and loaded up.

Comment

Once again the real cost of this yearly membership increases by being introduced to yet another thing I didn't know I needed! This actually comes at a good time though as I'm getting a basement fridge on Monday to go next to my freezer, both of which will soon be very full of steer among other meat I've been stockpiling.
      Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I lost over $500 bucks worth of meat earlier this year because the freezer door was ever so slightly ajar. We just stuffed it full of another 1/2 beef and assorted other meats so a $25 investment in a thermometer/alarm from a very reputable company seems justified.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike Sorry about the loss. I'd be pissed and that's kind of what I was thinking when I saw the post. I'll have a good chunk of money invested in meat and this seemed like cheap insurance.

It's amazing what a third-party thermometer can do for your piece of mind vs trusting the built-in temp sensors.

I didn't think that I'd have the Thermoworks thermometer setup full-time as I have since I got it --- thought it would be more of a "set it up once in a while" vs "all the time". I kinda like being able to look at it and go, "we're okay"

what's interesting is that we're using one of those Large French Door fridges, so the temperature swings are really interesting to watch as you keep the doors open to pull food out/put food in.

Pro Tip: as long as you don't open your refrigerator door, the temperature inside the box stays pretty cool.

Comment

So after a long journey, I've gone a little more advanced than the little wired Thermoworks models. Our freezer is in the garage and stuffed full of expensive meat, so I want to know if there's a problem, but wouldn't necessarily hear the thermoworks alarm until one of us comes and goes. I tried to buy a $50 wireless model from Amazon only to find the software sucks and they don’t send you any low battery alerts, pretty crappy when it has a corded base station that could easily alert also anytime the sensor in the freezer is not connected to it. After a close call, have now upgraded to this: https://tempstick.com

Comment

I bought this a bit more than a year ago and have the main unit on the kitchen fridge so I can check it several times daily when I am making coffee etc. it’s been great for us.

AcuRite Digital Wireless Fridge and Freezer Thermometer with Alarm and Max/Min Temperature for Home and Restaurants (00515M) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07XD68GX6/

Comment

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like a good option for inexpensive insurance.

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me to look for a wireless version first. I can see how the wires would be annoying. I just placed an order for this one and will probably return the thermoworks as soon as I get it.

I just bought 4 of the RT615's. I usually try to avoid looking at their sales emails that I get, as I will sometimes convince myself I need more in my cooking arsenal... I figured I could put two in both of my fridge's. I just dropped $2200 on a "no bells & whistles" fridge last month. Based on the readings I see with my Smoke, the fridge does have considerable variation from the SP of 36F. If I have a problem, I want to resolve it while it's in its 30 day period. I was getting tired of the wires coming out of the doors and these look to be pretty nice and easy to use and will be easy to move around inside. Not only are these appliances costly now days, they are also heavy. The label on mine says 289lbs. Whew....

Comment

Thanks, WillTravelForFood for the Thermoworks sale tip. I ordered two more RT8100 models. I paid full price for the first one I bought so the 40% off made this transaction much sweeter.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here