Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When You Drop A Thermapen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When You Drop A Thermapen

So, I dropped my trusty Thermapen Mk IV. Fortunately, the circuit board and the guts of the thing survived the drop. But the case was trashed pretty good from the 4 foot drop onto concrete.

I took a picture, jumped on a chat session on the Thermoworks support website. And within 10 minutes they were sending me a brand new case, at no cost, not even shipping. Replacing it was pretty easy. Thermapen good as new!

Case was cracked badly and no longer waterproof
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3052.jpeg
Views:	406
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	1056592

Well, that's ugly. Wait until you see what bits of blue plastic are from

Name:	IMG_3163.jpeg
Views:	385
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1056593

The g forces from the drop and impact on concrete broke the thingamajigs that hold the bolt receptacles ..... that's not good!

Name:	IMG_3164.jpeg
Views:	383
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1056591

But here she is, good as new, working great and looking good!

Name:	IMG_3165.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1056590

Foiled attempt to get a Thermapen one? Guess you’ll have to try harder.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Heh, they offered me that option. I could send my Mk IV back and get a One for 40% off. I was tempted

I was hoping to see the guts.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      dang, should have taken that picture too. Now that this one has been taken apart, I guess it's no biggie if I take it apart again

Very cool. I added the silicone boot to all mine just because I can be clumsy and do drop mine occasionally. Reminds me of our local Motorola service guy who works on our company radios. First words out of his mouth is always "How high did you drop it from?"

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang, I've used Motorolas my whole career and never busted one. Never even seen one busted up. I did see one fall out of a guys radio pocket into a creek one time, that pretty much did it in. I ran over my Motorola cell phone with a fire engine once and that REALLY did it in! Busting radios must be your Super Power.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t break the radios, I just get to pay for the repairs.🙁

That looks like it was smoked at 225 for an hour or two……jus sayin’

Comment

So nice to hear that they fixed ya right up, Brother...Gots me an IR Gun, has developed a pixely thingy, in th upper rh of screen...never been wet, never been dropped, never been jostled in a drawer, always had it's own Sanctuary...might haveta email em, see what might happens...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 7, 2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I have one of their IR guns, too …. Love it. You should see if they can help you out.

Really like to read about that level of customer service.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        It was not even under warranty anymore. They offered a couple of options for discounted new therms. Told them I really loved the Mk IV and just wanted it working again. They sent me the new case at no cost. I offered to pay for the case and the shipping.

That is better customer service than the manufacturer here in the UK, ETI. I cracked the housing of my Mark IV when closing the kitchen drawer with the Thermapen stuck and contacted ETI for repair options. They were happy to repair but would cost around $50. Instead I replaced it with a new Mark IV on offer for around $66. I don’t like to see things go to waste though and may have the broken one repaired anyway.

Comment

Wow, nice outcome. Kudos to Thermoworks for their excellent customer service, in the US at least.

Kathryn

Comment

Yea but when you drop a Thermopen in the forest, does anyone really hear it?

Name:	tree thermo .jpg
Views:	250
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1057260

Comment

• RichieB
            RichieB commented
            Editing a comment
            Just the crying.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            man, I got nothing ..... but I am laughing

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha

Sorry this happened, but great to hear TW took care of you. Good people over there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here