Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard vs XR-50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard vs XR-50

So, what are the advantages of one over the other? I know the Fireboard has graphing capabilities, and the integrated fan drive on the Fireboard 2. Right now I am rolling with an XR-50 and a Cyber Q fan. But I just got a service award in the form of a Amazon gift card, and it is burning a hole in my digital pocket. So, I am wondering if the upgrade is really worth it.

OK, really, why am I asking you guys??? Especially since I am this guy when you people ask about stuff like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	buy.gif
Views:	262
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1052643

Can't speak to the XR-50, but I'm sure it doesn't save your cooks to a cloud that you can access anywhere, add photos and notes to the cooks as well as control your pit from anywhere.

Comment

If I were you I'd substitute the new SnS-500 in place of the XR-50 going forward, it's just a better unit IMO.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I took a look at the SNS, looks like a good unit.

I have a feeling you will get an overwhelming response for the Fireboard. I like the XR-50. Simple, I never loose a connection, waterproof and reliable.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I have had the XR for awhile now and it is reliable. I think I would like the graphing and save functions of the Fireboard though.

It's always hard to argue against the FB if the budget is there.

Comment

The XR-50 is a solid unit but if you are looking to step into a drive control unit and would like to save your cooks then you really can’t go wrong with the FireBoard IMO.

Comment

XR-50 - 4 ports. FB - 6 ports. XR-50 - uses RF (a bit better than Bluetooth for range). FB - Bluetooth and Wifi (access anywhere there is an internet connection). FB - cloud-based storage of ALL sessions, accessible from anywhere with internet, ability to add Notes & Pics to sessions. XR-50 - not. FB - can be used for driving fan and control pit temps. XR-50 - nope.

XR-50 is reliable, decent range, good support, definitely lower price point. FB is reliable, good support with an abundance of features that those that document and keep records of sessions and variables associated with those sessions, plus pit temp control support for various pits with optional fan drive and WiFi capability for access and control.

Your call based on how you want the tool to help you manage your cooks. Enjoy!

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I know, I know, I know. It is probably a done deal

On the FB: Alerts and full fan control. You can setup push alerts and/or text alerts. Each channel fully customizable for high low, delivery mechanism, repeat time, etc. So, for an overnight cook, you can have it text you every 5 mins if pit temp drops below 200. Want to stoke a fire for reverse sear, set to manual fan 100%.

Plus full cloud logging like others mentioned, basically a digital log book.

Comment

Wait a minute. You have some extra cash. You have a reliable unit. You need to get yourself to Ace and buy that PBC!

PBC, PBJ, PBC!

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Unfortunately (or fortunately for my marriage) I don't have any room on the half of the deck I am allowed to furnish lol

With the cloud logging feature of Fireboard, you have no need to keep a separate cooking log, if in fact you do so. You can search the log for types of cooks, going back to the first one you used it for. It's so nice. Of course you need to add info if you want more than the graph of the cook. I usually add pertinent notes (weight of meat, type of fuel, etc. ) on my computer during the cook instead of on the iPhone or iPad. Either platform works great with it, though. Plus adding photos to the cook log is easy peasy and a lot of fun.

You will find documenting your cooks to be invaluable--especially (for me) in preventing a repeat of previous goof-ups.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; June 30, 2021, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              That is what I am looking at. I rarely log my cooks, and now that I get requests for stuff I cooked before, I need to start making records.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              It can be a pain to document a cook, klflowers, but it proves so valuable in the long run. At least documenting the cook through Fireboard's Dashboard is pretty easy, especially on a computer with a full size keyboard. Plus I like having the photos there as well, and the ability to make a note at any point in the cook and have the Note's dot appear on the temperature graph itself so you know the exact time and temp at that point during the cook.

K.

My XR-50 actually had problems. It would cause weird beeping/connection loss of I tried to use the alarms, and then remote display died.

That convinced me to go Fireboard when I replaced it.

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Knock on wood, I haven't had any problems with the XR50. But new and shiny toys coupled with an unexpected bonus has me thinking...

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here. Mine stopped working. However, I didn't toss it and gave it another shot recently and it's working again. In my experience the XR-50 is unreliable. Buy the Fireboard, klflowers.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here