Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You Had $100 to Spend on a Wireless Thermometer......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If You Had $100 to Spend on a Wireless Thermometer......

What would you get? I'm starting to do multiple cooks on multiple smokers and am going to need another one. I would prefer something with an app that I can track my cooks (or at least be able to take a picture of the chart before my next cook). I have an iGrill2 that does good work and I would be up to another one of those, but I wondered if anyone liked any others better? Thanks!

If I had $100 I would wait until I had some some more a get a Fireboard. I did that 3 or 4 years ago and it’s still doing fine, it’s absolutely everything I expected and I could have bought 2 of them with what I was spending on cheaper thermometers that lasted a year at best.

Comment

I have a Inkbird that was $50 and works very well and has a simple and efficient app.

Most here recommend Thermoworks.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn’t see your chart comments the first time.

If you want a good chart app, the Fireboard is really the best option.

Since the app charting is important to you, I would eliminate the Govee line from consideration. I recently bought a 6-rpobe model and it's accurate, has good BT range, and looks like it will last, but the app is disappointing. It must remain in the foreground and your phone must remain awake for charting or alerts to work. Even then, you can't scroll the chart. You just get to look at the last hour.

Comment

I do not want the apps or the charts so this may not be a help to you. I have a Maverick XR 50 and it is great. I would also look at this one by SNS https://snsgrills.com/collections/th...al-thermometer

If you want charts and apps then I would say the Fireboard.

Comment

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a Maverick that's functioned well for several years, but, as you note, no apps or charts. Great for the money though.

That would cover post & package and VAT to Norway.. 😆

Comment

I would recommend saving up a little more and getting a fireboard. I've had one for 2-3 years now and love it. Just bought the new FB2 a few months ago and it's great. At least once a month i end up needing both at the same time for different cooks.
          Over the years I've used several different well known brands and for me nothing worked or lasted as long as my Fireboard has.

Comment

Definitely Fireboard. Not sure if there is anything that can do all that you want well for $100. With FB you can save the cooks/charts to the cloud as well as add photos and notes during the cooks real time.

Comment

$100 might be pushing it with that sort of function...
              I’m kinda partial to ThermoWorks...but the ones that have an app & the extra functionality will blow the budget.
              Several people around here have the FireBoard and really like it. But again, that’s gonna blow the budget.

FWIW, I don’t really use charts & the like. So how one compares to another in that regard...I’m not much help.

Comment

I've had such good customer service with my Thermoworks products that I highly recommend them. I have had my Smoke for years, and even out of warranty, they replaced the screen and housing for free recently due to me being an idiot and melting it by putting something hot on top of it. With the Smoke Wifi Gateway, you get the app and graphs. So while the total is over $100, you could get the Smoke and add the gateway later.

Smoke does not allow for remote control - just monitoring. They have other more expensive products that can do the control and have an app - Signals.
                Last edited by jfmorris; June 3, 2021, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Lots of options for a $100 wireless thermo. Off the top of my head there is the Maverick X50 and Thermoworks Smoke. Both are good choices in that price range. There are reviews on the free side of this site, with many more covered in depth.

Comment

One thing I will mention about the iGrill versus the other ones such as the Smoke is that bluetooth only works for graphs and such if you leave the phone running the Weber app within bluetooth distance of the grill. The Smoke I use has a dedicated dual read out remote that works much farther away than that, and with the wifi bridge, the app works from anywhere - I can monitor my cooks when running errands around town, and know how soon to head home to take care of the grill.

Comment

Allow me to jump on the Thermoworks bandwagon. Both the Smoke and Gateway are on sale now for 20% off ($79.20 each). Personally, if $100 were my budget ceiling, I'd grab the Smoke immediately then, when your budget will allow it (and you still think that you really NEED WiFi) get the Gateway.

Comment

For $100 ($80, actually) I'd get the new 4-probe SnS-500. It is the Maverick XR-50 much improved.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here