Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper care of probes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper care of probes?

I bought a Govee 6-probe thermometer. Used it for the first time yesterday.

Should I do anything other than wash the probes? I used a dishcloth and normal dishwashing soap. Wasn't needed for this cleanup but would a Brillo pad be ok if needed?

Thanks in advance.

I clean my every so often but not every time, always concerned about water shorting electrical circuit. never had problems after several years and used scrubbies/ Brillo with no issues. usually just leave in pit and wipe with paper towel if needed.

Comment

I clean mine every single time--I have the Fireboard and the probes are well-sealed. I scrub them with an SOS pad and rinse well, then store in Fireboard's probe keepers.

You may want to contact the manufacturer for cleaning instructions. My old Maverick's probes were very water-sensitive at the joint between the cable and the probe, so I'd never wash in that area, just a wipe with a barely wet cloth. The rest of the probe got the SOS pad scrub, though.

I like keeping probes nice and shiny.

Kathryn

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        😳 Just not sure how to react to this one.
        😂😂

Seriously though. I never wash my probes. Just give them a good wipe with a damp wash cloth every once and a while. And never with soap.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        ​I thought I'd be hearing from you on this one, , Steve B

K.​

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        What? 😁

May you keep; your probes clean and calibrated.
      Makes for . . . Happy Grilling to you, and PBR too.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I often use probes to test the temperature of my PBR. You can't let your beer get too warm (unless you're European, then adjust your IT).

Mine get submerged and scrubbed with a Scotch pad when I remember to bring them in after a cook. Certainly not every time, but probably every two or three cooks.

Comment

I clean my Fireboard probes like Kathryn, sometimes I even soak them in a glass of water for a while to help loosen up the stuff baked on them. They’ve been bullet proof for 3 years. I finally have 1 of the thin competition probes that has gotten a little glitchy. It starts out a cook fine, but sometimes it looses temp or starts reading way off when something is moved on the grill. Every similar thermometer I tried had issues with the probes if when the spot where the wire meets the probe got wet.

I’ve been very impressed with the Fireboard probes and have been wondering if they may stand up to the dishwasher.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't let glitchy hear you say that...

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman took me a sec, but I see it now =)

TxF Don’t try the dishwasher, I really hope it was a joke. I had a FB pit probe get wet and it acted flaky (definitely not glitchy) for a while. I bought another and kept putting the flaky one in the grill too and it eventually cleared up after it dried out.

• TxF
          TxF commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine are 3 years old and get used 2 times a week minimum. Everything I’ve tried before has not been able to last a year. This is just 2 probes that have used 90% of the time. I haven’t gotten the dry out thing to work so far, I think the seal has gone, but the wire is almost done as well.

I generally use a damp scrubby sponge...and try to keep water out of the "joint" regardless of brand or rating. I’ve murdered too many to trust that anymore.

Comment

• IrondeQuer
          IrondeQuer commented
          Editing a comment
          That's how I do it, surfdog! Have never had a problem.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          +3

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here