Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThermoWorks Instant Read and Smoke Dual Probe Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThermoWorks Instant Read and Smoke Dual Probe Questions

ThermoWorks Thermapen Mk 4 Review
    By Bill McGrath
    ​
    I’ve got a few questions about the MK 4 and the ThermoWorks Smoke Dual Probe Thermo. I’ve got an el cheapo "Instant" Read thermometer which is anything but instant. It sometimes takes 5 to 10 seconds to reach the actual internal temp of the meat, which makes me also question its accuracy. I’ve actually reinserted the thermometer in the exact same place and got a different reading. My question is how fast does this one do in displaying the internal temp.? I’m assuming this one’s very accurate, considering all the members here who swear by it.

My ThermoPro dual probe just bit the dust......rusty battery compartment, won’t turn on anymore. I was happy with it, but now I want the best. I’m strongly considering the ThermoWorks Smoke shown here. The remote sensor to bring indoors, is a must for me. I don’t need any more probes than the 2 included with this one. I’ve seen mentioned here a few times (pretty sure it was about ThermoWorks) not to buy until it’s on sale. Are there frequent discounts offered on these models? And how often? When they offer a 15% or 25% ? discount, or whatever it is, does the deal include all their models, or is it just for one specific model they sell?
    Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; April 19, 2021, 11:58 AM.

I love my MK4, I would say Thermoworks 2-3 second claim is accurate. As for sales, their sitewide sales usually don't exclude anything and they often offer sales on both the MK4 and the Smoke. If you haven't, sign up for their emails.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, just signed up for emails.

Panhead John I have the Thermoworks Smoke, and it works quite well. I've also got the wifi add on, which I use if I am doing a long cook and leaving the house, just so I can keep tabs on a long cook while running errands around town.

I've been very pleased, and recently, due to me setting a hot grate down on it and melting the face, sent it back to Thermoworks for service, expecting to pay something for my stupidity. They replaced the housing on the unit free of charge, well outside its 2 year warranty.

I also have Thermopen, and it normally reads within 2-3 seconds, so is pretty instant. All in all, pleased with my Thermoworks purchases, and have given all my kids and my father Thermopops the past several years, so that I knew they had an accurate thermometer.

If you sign up for their mailing list, you will get notified of sales from Thermoworks - they seem to have 10-15%, sometimes 20% off, several times per year.

The main competition in my mind for the Smoke is the Maverick XR-50, available through snsgrills.com, and it has 4 probes for a lower price. The Maverick probes are also waterproof. The Smoke probes are not. What this means is you can ruin a Thermoworks probe if you get the junction of the probe to wire submersed. My solution is just to wash the part that goes into the meat after use, but just use a damp cloth to wipe down the cable portion.
    Last edited by jfmorris; April 19, 2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jim! I remember your post about the melted face and was impressed with their customer service. Can you tell me about the WiFi add on? Is it another piece.....and extra cost?

EDIT: I just went to their site and saw the WiFi add on information.
      Last edited by Panhead John; April 19, 2021, 01:41 PM.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John I bought the Wifi add on when I had a 30% off code, or maybe it was open box and 50% off even. It's been a long time, but I know I didn't pay over $60 for it. It works well, but I mostly use it when I am going to be out of range of the regular remote - either away from the house, or too many walls in between me and the grill.

I also have a Smoke and it's great. Like you, I don't need more than the 2 probes. And like jfmorris, I had an issue (it was reading temps with no probe inserted etc) and Thermoworks a) replied to may support email with an hour... on a weekend and b) send a new base unit. For free.

The issue I had seems to have been caused by moisture, so the one thing I will note is that you want to be able to protect it if you need to have it outside in the rain.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. I stick it in a zip lock bag with the probe wires running out, if its raining. To my knowledge, the area where water can mess the probes up is the where the wire goes into the body of the probe.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks rickgregory I remember your post about the issue you had. In fact I replied to your comments, I said how impressive it was to get an email response so fast....and on a weekend!

I have the Smoke, Smoke X4, and the Signals and I grab the Smoke X4 most of the time, even when I only need 2 channels. The extended range is a huge plus. The Smoke is excellent too but based on where you smokers are and where you spend your time chilling, how many walls you have to go through, etc. the extra range might be good.

There are usually 20-25% off sales on the Smoke once every month or two??? Right now they have 25% off the Thermopop (great alternative to the MK4 if you are wanting to save some money) and they usually rotate the promos through some of their products. So maybe wait a couple weeks and then get impatient and pay full price.

Comment

I just checked my Gmail account, and it seems on average I get a sale email of some sort from Thermoworks at least every other week. For example, a week or two ago, there was 20% off the Smoke Gateway, plus 10% more with a special code (30% total). Valentines they had a 20% off site wide sale I think. If you can wait a little while, get on their mailing list, and I will bet there will be a sale on what you want between now and Memorial Day.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I just got on their email list and already got a 10% off offer back from them. I’m not in a hurry. Gonna wait tilI I can get a better deal.
        Last edited by Panhead John; April 19, 2021, 02:04 PM.

I have both the Smoke and the Thermapen (the version prior to the MK4). Both are crazy accurate, the range of the Smoke is enough to reach every corner of the house, and the Thermapen is fast enough that I use it to easily measure IT in meat on my Weber rotisserie while it's turning. I can also verify that their customer service is literally second to none ... which is saying something since I'm also a Grilla owner. As others have already (sorta) said ... wait for a sale if you enjoy an even better than usual deal ... then go for it.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks MBMorgan Good info. there. I like the range of the Smoke you mentioned.

I have a Thermo pen , a thermo pop, a smoke x4, a dot, and a smoke 2 channel. I love my smoke 2 channel. If I were to go past 2 channels again, it would likely be something else, only as I do do not think the billows is all that great of a fan, I currently like my thermo pop better then the thermo pen.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Regarding the thermo pop, it may be 3 seconds slower, but likely just as accurate. I like the rotating screen, If I have to use it in other scenarios then open grill space, I find the smaller size is far easier to get under a dutch oven lid (example), I love that the thermo pop has a power button, and I do not have to close then open the thermo pen to use it, if it has timed out. It's less cumbersome all together. Meaning one hand, especially having a power button.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll second the ThermoPop rec. It's a couple of seconds slower and if it was 80% of the Thermapen, eh. But it's like 1/3 the price.

• Clark
        Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John I love the Thermo Pop too. It is accurate, lightweight to put in a pocket, and the dial rotates. I am left-handed so the rotating readout is important to me. You'll like it!!
        P.S. Get a very bright color so you can easily find it in your drawer and won't forget it outside.

I have the MK4, the smoke and smoke X4. If u only need 2 probes the regular Smoke is just fine. The MK4 is great. Other companies may have great products too. I just became loyal to Thermoworks because of products and a great customer service team. I think they give u a good bang for the buck.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the reply, I’ve heard nothing but great things about their customer service. That goes a long way with me when deciding on where to buy...beside just a quality product.

I agree, their customer service is great. When I bought my Smoke, about two weeks later it went on sale, I think 20% off. I figured what the heck, I will email them about it. No questions asked, they credited my card for the difference. I also have a DOT, MK4 and pre MK4 version and they are great. AND, who doesn't like jellybeans

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a perfect example of quality customer service. That’s almost as important to me as the product itself.
        Last edited by Panhead John; April 19, 2021, 06:19 PM.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotta love those Jelly beans they pack into every box, even on customer service returns!

So, I'll just throw out a couple concepts that track with most of the commentary above.

Looking at the difference in how companies approach the marketplace and develop/present their products. ThermoWorks products tend to be built UP to a standard, not DOWN to a price.

Often people will justify their purchase by saying something along the lines of, "it doesn't quite do such and so as well as ________, but it costs _______________less.". When it comes to temp measuring devices, most often the standard of measure that most compare to for high performance is a Thermoworks product. Though I will say, Fireboard is giving them a run for their money on the performance/feature side while being in the mostly upper echelon regarding price.
      Last edited by Uncle Bob; April 19, 2021, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I have both and they meet my needs. MK 2-3 seconds. I do not need more than 2 probes 95% of the time. If I need a 3rd, pull out the DOT. Customer Service is great. When the smoke kick stand broke I said oh well. Then someone (sorry do not recall who) mentioned they contacted TW and got a replacement. So I did the same and 2 days later new kickstand at no charge.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I started with a Dot, before getting the Smoke, and often pull it out still when I don't care about monitoring both meat and pit temps, or when using a second smoker.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John the chicks really dig the remote on the lanyard. Who doesn't like to rock a BBQ necklace?

• Clark
          Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris The "chicks" that Panhead John dates all have a lanyard around their necks for when they fall down and say "Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!"

The Mk4 is a great instant read. Picked up a second one last time they had a sale. It’s stoopid fast, and accurate.

I don’t have a Smoke, but do have several ThermaQs, including the ThermaQ wifi, and Signals. I generally prefer wifi over Bluetooth.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here