Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searching for a better Ambient probe clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for a better Ambient probe clip

I'm frustrated with the clips that typically come with temp probes. It seems to have 2 possible options A) - clip loosely fits on the grill grates but the probe is secured or B) the clip is snug on the grill grate but the probe slides out too easily. I tried bending and tweaking the clip but no luck. Anyone else faced with this problem? Are there better options out there? The specific clip in question is attached.
    Attached Files

I am interested in this answer to. I don’t particularly like those clips

Comment

Well, this may not be the answer to your question, but I noticed in several of the SNSGrills.com videos that they loop the probe wire around the base of the clip, to keep the probe from sliding out. I've been doing it lately myself. Like below, where I have the wire looping back the opposite direction I ran the probe, so that it won't pull out. This was on a test run of the kamado, with no food. Sure isn't that clean in there now, haha!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4130.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1019980
      Last edited by jfmorris; April 19, 2021, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I do as well.

• SchweinStein
        SchweinStein commented
        Editing a comment
        that may just do it. I'll give it a shot.

I got a couple of these. The only issue is that it takes a bit of hard pushing to get the probe through the rubber holder. And make sure push the base into a grate slot fairly firmly as well.

Comment

• SchweinStein
        SchweinStein commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw this previously but $15 was more than I was hoping to spend. Thank you though!

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        SchweinStein one other trick is to use a small potato or even a wad of foil. I have not tried either. I did think that two alligator clips soldered to a joining piece of wire would work, but I have not been that motivated to try that either.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        GolfGeezer, I tried the foil thing and it was a pain. I keep misplacing my clips (meaning I leave them laying around and my wife puts them up), and I was forced to try the foil thing. I had trouble getting it into position.

I have the same clips as well and know what you mean. I just tried this and it worked. I first put the probe through both holes in the clip. Then I took both bottom ends of the clip and bent them outward a little bit. If it’s still a little too loose for you, remove and bend them outward a little more. Worked just fine for me.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Panhead John; April 19, 2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• SchweinStein
        SchweinStein commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll give this a try! Thanks.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        👍 Let us know if it works for you.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        This is what I do, and it works great.

An alligator clip might work with a little fiddling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	alclip.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	1020026

Comment

I have used a small wadded-up aluminum ball. Just poked the probe though and set it on the grate. Workes fine; last one time.
        Happy Grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

a chunk of potato actually works quite well. :-)

Comment

• USMCCrashCrew89
            USMCCrashCrew89 commented
            Editing a comment
            Or onion! I’ve used them when I couldn’t find the danged clippy

I ordered these recently and the 3 different size holes on the clips really helps.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a handful of the 3-hole probe clips. Very handy especially when using Thermoworks ceramic fibre probes since they don’t really fit their clips well.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here