Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot decide between FireBoard 2 Drive and Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot decide between FireBoard 2 Drive and Pro

Hi all,

I've been using a Maverick ET-733 for years with my Weber Kettle. And while it has been great, it's getting a bit long in the tooth. For example, the screen is starting to go out and is hard to read.

I've been looking at the FIreBoard 2 Drive as a nice upgrade, especially with the fan. But then the FireBoard 2 Pro came out, and now I cannot decide which one to get.

I understand the Pro is targeted towards a more commercial environment, but the engineer in me thinks the Type-K probes are a nice upgrade. They would work with my Fluke multimeter. ;-) And I cannot see needing more than 3 probes.

But I am leaning towards the regular FireBoard 2 Drive. The Pro does seem overkill and likely not worth the extra $50. Also, the sous-vide probe does not work on the Pro. However, I really doubt I'd use this for sous-vide. Might be a nice probe for candy making, though?

Does anyone have any experience with the FireBoard 2 Pro? Or does anyone have any advice between the two?

Thanks,

Dave

Fireboard products are great. The biggest advantage to the Pro would be if you wanted to use it in higher temp applications such as a pizza oven. The disadvantage is the number of probes you'll be able to connect being limited to 3 on the Pro. I've eyed the Pro a couple times since getting the MAK as it uses Type-K probes also and it would be nice just to have one type of probe, but I already have a FB2 Drive.

In my experience, the standard RTD style probes from Fireboard have been extremely accurate and durable. I've had a Fireboard since the Kickstarter hit the market and have only had one probe failure, and that was a pit probe that I'm pretty sure got wet.

Comment

I was given an old FireBoard 1 and it’s soooo awesome. I can’t imagine you’d need the Pro.

Comment

Like glitchy stated, the versatility of having 6 probes available that are just as accurate as the (only 3) K-type probes is definitely my preference. I have used 4 probes regularly (1 ambient on the upper grate and 1 ambient on the main grate, or 1 on each side of the smoker, plus 1 probe in the point and 1 in the flat for briskets). Of course, knowing me, I'll probably buy the Pro as well, 'cause, well...just because!
        Last edited by GolfGeezer; April 19, 2021, 11:57 AM.

Comment

You may want to save the money and just get a Fireboard 2 .... unless you really plan to regularly use a fan. Otherwise, if you reach the point where you want a fan, you can buy the Drive separate from the Fireboard and plug it in when you need it. I wouldn't get the Pro ..... having 6 probes is awesome!

I've had my Fireboard 1 since December, 2016. I've had one bad probe and it was my own fault, I broke the wires. I can't get the darn thing to die so I can justify getting a Fireboard 2, dangit.

Comment

I bought the basic FB2 because I already had a drive cable from my FB1 so didn't see the need for the Drive. So far, I've been happy with that decision. On a related note, my plan was to bring my FB1 to three vacation home since I have a programmer smoker and had grill here and don't need a fan. I am at the vacay now. I brought them FB1 and it won't boot up. So, I think it's dead. I'm not going to replace it at this point since I have a 6 probe Govee I got a great deal on a couple of years ago. It's NOT a FB, but it's good enough for here.

Comment

Great responses. Thank you, all! I'll go with the Drive.

As far as the blower... I'm still on the fence. I've had very good luck without a fan, and not entirely sure I want to drill a hole in the Weber. But it seems like a nice quality of life improvement over constantly tinkering with the vents. Worst case, I drill the hole, and I don't end up using it, and hope the grill is still usable. The fan is probably more useful if/when I upgrade to a kamado.

-Dave

Comment

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven’t used Fireboard’s fan. I use the pit viper fan with the Weber adapter from BBQ Guru. That fan plugs right into Fireboard Drive. The adapter comes with a silicone plug so you don’t affect the grill when the fan is disconnected. If you are prone to misplacing small items, you might order an extra plug or two at the start, so you are not paying something like $7-8 shipping on a $5 replacement plug later. Most pics I see of kettles with ATC on here are using the pit viper too.

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                I have both the old version with the drive cable and the new FB2 Drive. Love them both but IMO if you can swing it go ahead and get the drive version and order the pit viper fan later.

• pknj
                pknj commented
                Editing a comment
                Like glitchy and Dadof3, the pit viper with Fireboard is amazing. You don't need it, but man, I wouldn't go back to NOT having it. Those long cooks when you have other things to do, just set it and forget it. Really does make life easier.

glitchy said:
              I haven’t used Fireboard’s fan. I use the pit viper fan with the Weber adapter from BBQ Guru. That fan plugs right into Fireboard Drive. The adapter comes with a silicone plug so you don’t affect the grill when the fan is disconnected. If you are prone to misplacing small items, you might order an extra plug or two at the start, so you are not paying something like $7-8 shipping on a $5 replacement plug later. Most pics I see of kettles with ATC on here are using the pit viper too.
              I had not see the Pit Viper. Looks interesting! It plugs right into the FireBoard? If I'm understanding the Weber kettle adapter correctly, it installs into one of the three holes on the bottom vents, and you tape over the other two holes. This video shows how to install it in a Smokey Mountain, but I assume a kettle is the same. Do you just leave it that way all the time? Seems a little restrictive, if you want to use the grill normally without the fan? You could re-install it every low-and-slow session, I suppose.

Comment

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                Most people use a step bit and drill a hole for the adapter. With the kettles with the ash sweep you drill it just out of reach of the sweepers. With the old damper design, I don’t know the best location. For the pit viper, it has a barrel plug that will plug straight into the FB2 Drive or the Drive adapter for non Drive models.

Hey Dave, I was dead set on getting the Fireboard 2 Pro as I already had the type k probes for my ThermaQ thermometer. However, the release of the Pro had so many delays I pulled the plug and went for the Fireboard 2 Drive. So far I have no regrets and saved some money as well. I use the Fireboard together with the Pit Viper fan which is a good combination.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here