Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live Edge Cutting Board for the Sauna Cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live Edge Cutting Board for the Sauna Cooks

I am an avid sauna user in the winter months. A few years back we built a wood-fired sauna out of cotton wood trees that we cut down in the river bottoms. The greatest part is the sauna sits right next to a cold spring, so it is perfect for the sauna and cool dip cycles that we love to do. After we are done with the sauna sessions, we love to grill out and replenish those salts we lost during our sessions. We never have a cutting board that stays down there and I don't want leave one of my nice ones down there. So, I thought I would change that.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3731.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	950951Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3749.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	950950
    Last week, I stopped at my buddies saw mill and picked up a planks of walnut scrap to burn in the sauna and I decided to take one of them home to make a live edge cutting board. I need to fill the knot hole in this one and get some oil on this baby, but after sanding it down, I think it is looking good so far!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9950.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.52 MB ID:	950944Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9955.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.05 MB ID:	950945Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9957.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.00 MB ID:	950946

Nice! You'll have to get one of our bakers to supply 6' sub rolls!
    Last edited by HawkerXP; December 6, 2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

There is some epoxy available for filling holes. It comes clear, but you can buy just about any color to tint it.

Comment

Have a Happy Time, hittin th Sauna, Brother; I'll haveta enjoy vicariously, from here.

Nice cuttin board, btw! What knife is gonna live down there, with it?
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 5, 2020, 04:18 PM.

Comment

That's cool man!! Can't wait to see it finished with a bunch of meat on that thing! I am actually working in my shop today on a live edge 2" thick slab of Walnut!

Click image for larger version

Name:	128007925_10222288577060106_7176181599494016047_o.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	951083

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            So...
            Whatcha makin, Brotherman???!!!

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            you have the same tool cabinets as I do... only difference is I don't have any real tools

• droopie69
            droopie69 commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks like a museum!!! I wish I could be neat, but I'm a walking pigpen!

Nice! Growing up my family had a cabin up-state NY in the Catskill Mtns with a pond. Over the years a sauna was added and in winter we'd cut a hole in the pond ice for the plunge--one midway through the sauna, one at the end. I envy your set up and wish I could experience a sauna and Q at chez Spinaker.

Comment

Very nice! Love that sauna, I have one in the basement of my house. It gets used a lot.

Silly question from a non-native English speaker: what does a ‘live’ edge mean? Is that when you leave the edge as-is, I.e. don’t cut it straight?

Comment

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, live edge is its natural edge.

• willxfmr
              willxfmr commented
              Editing a comment
              It means charging the tourist an extra $3 a board foot to not cut off the bark.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, its just the rough edge of the board. Technically this one was de-barked, but there is still some bark on there. Plus this is for the sauna, so I am not too concerned about it. This was just a lot minute fun project!

I’m liking the looks of this! I want to make a table, more like a bar table for my patio with live edge top and gas pipe for the base. I just haven’t looked to find a shop with wood like that. That is a beautiful piece of walnut! i love the color on it and can’t wait to see what it looks like after you finish it!

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! It is always fun to do projects like this.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here