Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Custom Cutting/Charcuterie Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! That is on my list of things to do. I'm trying to convince my wife that buying a planer and a router is cheaper than buying cutting boards.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus, think of all the money you will save not buying presents.......you can just make them!

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      It's like you're reading my mind.

• wu7y
      wu7y commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't do as much woodworking as I used to but over the years I have bought and used more than a few fairly high quality hand and power tools for household projects. A few years ago I compared the cost of my tools to the price of buying the finished product or hiring someone else to do it. I discovered that all of my tools have paid for themselves with money left over. I never count my time in the analysis because the work is therapeutic and cheaper than a shrink. And i have made lots of gifts.

Sure is a great feeling completing a project that is both practical and so pleasing to the eye. Impressive Sir.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, I appreciate it.

Yep, beautiful boards!

What kind of glue did you use? I would have tried a full length dovetail for strength and probably have screwed that up horribly or taken 6 months to make one.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I used Titebond III Ultimate. My buddies dad made all the doors, cabinets and tables for the cabin and that is what he had us use. I am sure we will be good to go.

They look awesome. The first knife marks are kind of like a scratch or small dent in a new car.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, hopefully there won't be much. The Cherry and oak are the softest wooden this board. It should hold up pretty well. But I am going to avoid using my scalloped brisket knife.

Beautiful looking boards. If I saw those in a store, I would buy them!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Not selling.......yet.

Very productive weekend !!!!!
    nice job and very useful

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I figured is I was gonna be stuck inside, I should get something done.

Gorgeous

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Just made a stop and picked up some more wood for cutting boards that I am going to try to crank out this weekend.

I got some Purple heart wood, Purple Rain Poplar, Tiger Wood, Chakte Viga for the accents with in the board. For the most part, I will be using hard maple, ash and walnut. (Not pictured.......Hard Maple, Walnut and Ash.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpeg
Views:	315
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	953700

I have 5 boards to make this weekend. I am also going to try to throw together a charcuterie board out of some rough cut walnut that a friend of mine had laying around. They are much easier to make.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Dubs one the next one!

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, it is me, your long lost brother!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      This list is so long..........

ofelles STEbbq

Beautiful and functional.....best combo there is.

Comment

Well I am back from the great north woods of MN with a big haul of cutting boards and a few Charcuterie boards as well. Everything turned out great! This was such a fun weekend, but a ton of work. It was well worth it.

Here is a shot of all the pieces we are using to pit the boards together. After I ripped them on the saw, I cut them to 18" and 24" inch lengths. I want to make a few boards that are more reasonably sized for "normal" use. Here we have a stack of Purple Heart, Paduk, has, hard maple. walnut, Vega, tiger wood and cherry.

Name:	IMG_0030.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	955981
      Here is a board I put together for my brother and his wife. they wanted a big beefy board for their kitchen. I think this one should do the trick. It is made with Paduk, ash, walnut and cherry.

Name:	IMG_0031.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	955982
      Below is my new serving board. I made this will Purple Heart and cherry. I can't wait to see this one pop with the oil.

Name:	IMG_0040.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	955983
      I also made a couple of boards with also all Paduk. People really seem to love those as well. And the work smells amazing when you are working it.

Name:	IMG_0083.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	955984
      Here is a shot of the boards before the edge were trimmed, sanded or the bevels put in.

Name:	IMG_0085.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	955985

Me and my buddy made this routing jig to make things nice and clean when making the drip groove. He is way better at this than I am, so I stick to ripping, sanding and planning.

Name:	IMG_0110.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	955986
      Here is the stack of boards ready for gifting. I still need to wet them down, sand again and then hit them with oil.

Name:	IMG_0121.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	955987

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Masterful work. Be sure we see them oiled up. Those woods will really be beautiful.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I will be sure to refresh once I get the oil on them. The boards below are oiled and they really popped! Jfrosty27

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Great job on these Spin.

I also made a few charcuterie boards as well. These were a ton of fun to make. I picked up some rough cut Walnut from a friends house. He was putting up walnut paneling and he had some extra rough cut pieces left over. So I decided these would be perfect for some live edge (or kinda) charcuterie boards.

I started by sending the boards through the paneer and then the drum sander to get them flat and make sure they would sit level.

Name:	IMG_0070.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	955994

Then I simply drew out a rough sketch and I decided to get to cutting. I used the jig saw to make the rough cut out, then got to sanding to get the edges worn down and get to my finishing smoothness of 220. I think these turned out absolutely gorgeous. And they really were not that hard to make. I know, it helps to have the planner and drum sander, I am very lucky to have access to that, but you could make these with out those machines. I will for sure be making more of these. They are way cheaper to make and they are unique and really fun to give away. Here are a few shots after my first round of sanding. I wet them down and let them dry to allow those micro fiber to rise up on the surface of the wood. Then I will sand them again to the finishing smoothness and add oil.

Name:	IMG_0093.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	955995Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0098.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	955996

Well, here they are! All oiled up and ready for the Xmas tree. That sun makes them pop!

Name:	IMG_0132.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	956001Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	956000Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	955999Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	955998Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0136.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	955997

Comment

Awesome looking boards John. Nice workmanship.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Steve!

So awesome. Wish I had something like these! You take orders???

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I do. But I am really backed up with the holiday right now. I would be happy to put one together for you though, at a later date. What size board were you looking for?

I wish I was on your Christmas list. Lucky recipients for those gifts under the tree for sure!

Kathryn

Comment

Beautiful work, Brother!

I wish I still had access to such nice shop equipment, I'd be on some like a duck on a Junebug!

Might consider makin /havin made some sorta brandin iron, to mark these...

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I am looking into that. They are back ordered on Rockler right now.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker
          Rockler is, most deiniftely, another Certified Rabbit Hole!

Like a Black Hole that eats $100 dollar bills from adjacent galaxies lol!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here