Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Custom Cutting/Charcuterie Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Custom Cutting/Charcuterie Boards

I was up north at a friends cabin this weekend. The weather was cool and rainy so we spent most of the weekend in the shop. My friend has a great wood shop where I put together my first batch of cutting boards.

I wanted to make a huge board for trimming briskets, something I have always wanted. I used Brazilian teak, Cherry, black walnut, Purple Heart wood and oak. This board is 20 X 30. I cut a juice groove in all of the boards too.

Here we are lining up all the sections of the boards and applying the glue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0009.jpg Views:	0 Size:	701.9 KB ID:	907994
    Running it through the jointer to make sure the board is square.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9223.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	908000
    Brisket board after glueing and sanding it down.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9218.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.59 MB ID:	907995
    Groove is cut!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9248.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.76 MB ID:	907998
    I also made some smaller boards that are 20 X 15. I threw some oak in those board to add a little more color to the mix. Also, a few tiny boards for limes and what not.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9220.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.89 MB ID:	907996

After everything was done, I added some Boos Block Oil to all the boards and let them sit over night. That wood really popped once I cleaned them and oiled them up. The brisket board is a beast and it should be perfect.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	62121437583__2CB014BB-971A-470C-8041-D2E8EA091C61 2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.23 MB ID:	907999

Click image for larger version  Name:	45F60917-B15F-48E7-8919-3869A9D8750E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.47 MB ID:	908001

They look really cool! Nice work.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Wow. You did all that in one weekend? Impressive. Both how the boards turned out and that you got them done in just one weekend. Congrats pitmaster!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! All in one!

Very nice work Spin! Although I would have really liked to see you wearing some eye and hearing protection while running that jointer. Safety is no accident.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      It helped me look more official. However, a thought to safety would have served me better. CaptainMike

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Aye, me captain.

• USMCCrashCrew89
      USMCCrashCrew89 commented
      Editing a comment
      One of my first jobs out of the service was in a UHaul repair shop. I was torquing down with a giant impact wrench and snapped the socket, kicking the wrench into my face. I still have the safety glasses somewhere that likely saved my eye. At least we know who the Captain of the wood shop is though! Fine woodworking is definitely something to be proud of and to pass onto future generations.

Great work. Ditto what CaptainMike said

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! It was a fun project.

Very nice!

Comment

Those look awesome. I've really been wanting to get into woodworking but the price of entry as a hobby is so darn high! I'm currently having a mental dilemma to go for cheaper tools (currently table saw and planer) or get the more well known branded hobby level stuff. My curse is my draw to quality as opposed to flat out cheap.

Comment

• wu7y
        wu7y commented
        Editing a comment
        I once needed a bandsaw for a project mine was too small to handle. I called the woodworking shop in one of our local high schools and the instructor was only too happy to let me use theirs on the condition I let his students observe. I was nervous as I had never had an audience before but it worked and was a fun time. He said that I was free to use their shop any time, class space and time permitting. I don't know if that might be available in your schools but it might be worth checking out.

• wu7y
        wu7y commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, and nice work, Spinaker

• fkrall
        fkrall commented
        Editing a comment
        wu7y --An excellent suggestion! That's how I learned to use a computer many moons ago. Everyone wins.
        Last edited by fkrall; December 29, 2020, 11:34 AM.

Beautiful work.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! It was a fun project.

Man, those look amazing!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Really nice cutting boards John! All I can add is WOW!!!
      Last edited by Skip; September 8, 2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Wow looks amazing!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I love doing stuff like this.

Beautiful and useful! Love doing this.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. It was a really fun project.

Those look sweet!!! Boy did that wood grain and color pop out with the oil!! Nice use of a cold rainy weekend!! Where about a up north were ya??

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Up on Vermillion. Cook side

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahh pretty country up there. I have an opportunity to go to oak island on lake of the woods this weekend just not sure I have the time .

Very nice looking wood!

Comment

Beautiful boards!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here