Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting Board Question/Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Board Question/Suggestions?

I am in the process of making myself a large (approx 18"x24") hard maple end grain cutting board. In fact, I just milled the strips and glued them up this morning. The plan is for it to be reversible with a juice/drippings channel on one side. My question is, does anybody have any suggestions for how wide and/or deep the channel should be for good effectiveness? the shallow channel on my nylon board that I have been cutting steaks on is barely big enough to contain the juice from a single ribeye.

Again, any suggestions are welcome.

1/4 inch wide by 1/4 inch deep should be sufficient.

Comment

I have a Boos board about the same size and the channel is about 3/4" wide by 1/2" deep. The only time I have have a spill is when I was slicing several waygu Tri Tips at once.

Comment

Thank you both, celticman and ofelles. I will probably go with the 3/4 x 1/2 like the Boos. I would have bought a Boos board, but they are too rich for my blood AND I have a boatload of 5/4 x 8 hard maple in my shop doing mostly nothing for the last 20+ years until I started using it for guitar necks.

Comment

Probably a good choice.

Comment

You could also create a depression that connects to the groove on one end for overflow. And I have seen a board with a groove that had a hole in one end of the groove with a shallow metal dish under the whole to catch drippings. That option would require feet on the bottom, and might not look nice when you wanted to use that side.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here