Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A bread slicer for hoovarmin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bread slicer for hoovarmin

A while back hoovarmin asked for recommendations for a bread slicer. I pm'd him that I could make one for him, and he said OK. I had some wood on hand, and he picked cherry to match his cabinets. It's composed of three parts: the base with integral bread guide; the knife guides; and the bread stop. Dave will be able to cut slices any thickness between ~ 1/4" and ~ 1 1/8" in 1/8" increments. This is because I offset the pins in the stop by ~ 1/8". The groove in front of the blade guides is where the blade runs and is a bit neater than having the blade cut the groove during use.

It's hopefully wide enough that he can slice batards with it, but I left the blade guides tall in case he needs to turn the bread on it's side to slice it. The length of his bread knife was the limiting factor on width.

I only took one photo to show Dave, and forgot to get more to post here, but most here will get the idea.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230203_152956[1].jpg Views:	134 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	1377143

I did check with Dave before posting this.

Neat idea, top notch craftsmanship. Got a couple of questions, though. Is Dave a lefty? Maybe I'm backwards (a definite possibility) but I slice right to left (knife in right hand). My poor addled brain can't quite wrap my hands around on how to use this guide. Also why is the stop on the cutting end and not the butt end? Finally, are the uprights metal? Doesn't that put the cutting edge of the knife in harm's way? I'd probably swap the metal out for replaceable dowels. It's not my place to criticize, but I may very well steal your basic design. IF I can figure out the left right conundrum. SWMBO is a lefty (with poor knife skills) and if I build one for her, I can't use it and vice versa. I definitely do like the concept. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm - I never thought to ask Dave if he was a righty or a lefty. However, this photo was just a grab shot on my workbench. I use mine with the bread guide on the opposite side, but you could also use it in the above position if you are a lefty.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      You could also make it double ended so that the bread stop and knife guides would fit at either end. I bought 1/8", (.125"), ss rods from Amazon, but the package said 3 mm, (.118"), and they actually measured .116". That is a size 32 drill bit. However, if there is any wobble in you drill, the hole may be larger. The rods need to fit fairly tight so they move as little as possible.

Beautiful piece of Cherry and awesome craftsmanship!!

Well done & Bravo 👏 🙌

Comment

Very nice RonB !!!

But will it work with a katana?

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        If ya wanna slice Japanese bread.

I am sure Dave will be appreciative. Seeing that, I just might make one for myself. Thanks for the Idea.

Comment

Very nice Ron. I am sure it will be greatly appreciated. Great work as always.

Comment

Wonderful and what a generous gesture. I can personally speak to the craftsmanship as being superior.

Comment

I love what you made for me, Ron. I've been using it, too! It's fantastic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4402.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1383302

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I am glad you like it Dave. It should last you a long time.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here