Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic vs wood cutting boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic vs wood cutting boards

I'd be interested in hygiene aspects of wood cutting boards vs plastic or ceramic boards. Are plastic boards to be preferred? Some people told me that bacteria stick easier to wood because it is more porous while other people told me that wood naturally inhibits bacteria growth if not kept wet all the time. I love wood cutting boards and they do not screw up knife blades... Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

I lot of this comes down to what you cutting. There is a ton of research out there on this topic for sure. There are also two very opposing schools of thought on what is safe and what is not.

HDPE plastic boards and flexible cutting mats are a fairly fast cutting surface (easy on knife edge) and easy to clean.

Wooden boards are a joy to use and to serve raws or breads and such.

IMHO I think both surfaces belong in the kitchen but if I only get to pick one I'm going plastic.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 21, 2014, 06:12 AM.

Comment

I agree with Jon. In addition you can use hydrogen peroxide to clean and disinfect wooden boards. I also use acidic water (pH less than 2) on some surfaces to also disinfect. Wood utensils are very popular in the kitchen as they are non marring and we use them but play close attention to sanitizing.

Comment

I think we can all agree that ceramic and glass cutting boards are purely decorative or for serving. Anyone who designs and sells these for applications involving sharp knives deserves to ---well--- not get any more ribs.

Comment

I would go with whichever you like. I would recommend 2 cutting boards, one for meats and one for breads/veggies. It helps on those days when you have the big cook and need to go back and forth. Also prevents some cross-contamination just in case the sanitization process didn't get everything.

Comment

I use two, one plastic for prep of raw meat and one wood to do the slicing of COOKED meat.
            The pastic board I clean with hot water and Dawn, then spritz it with water/Bleach, let set for 10 min then wash/rinse again.
            The wood board gets the water/Dawn wash, rub with lemon then rinse, then about once every 6 weeks it gets oil/bee's wax seal applied. (when you notice water not beading off, it's about time for a seal)
            I believe Wood boards are fine, especially end grain hardwood boards, just play by the rules and buy good quality, Life is Good.

Comment

i don't know much about the microorganism aspect of them, but I have 4- 1 wood primarily for breads, and 1 each small medium and huge plastic (or plastic type, not sure what it really is). The huge one I use for ribs and butts, the others are for whatever. It's not that I consciously only use the wood one for bread, but that's just how it works out. I guess subconsciously it seems the plastic ones clean easier from the meat juice, but I really don't know if that's true or not.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                subconsciously....?

• _Keith
                _Keith commented
                Editing a comment
                Replace "subconsciously" with "intuitively", Jon, and I think you'll have the gist

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here