Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a cutting board or two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ended up going with this:

The juice groove probably has 3-4 times the capacity of anything I had previously and this board is 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the other two I was eyeing. Since I haven’t had a wooden cutting board since I was probably 21 and had no idea how to care for it, I figure another will likely be bought or made down the road. If I had a drum sander or my planer was even decent I probably would have tried to make one now.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory I only put plastic ones in dishwasher. Already have some Boos oil I use on the bamboo board.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      You're set then. Just oil it when it looks a bit dry and you're fine. The board cream they sell is nice but not necessary.

• Loren
      Loren commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang that is a good price! Oil it up a few times then get some meat to cut on it...heck, and some veggies! And take pictures of it for us 🤠

I put 4-5 coats of oil, then 2 coats of board cream on this thing. I've used it once and then washed and dried it right away and it looks like a stick I just pulled out of the kiln. What's the deal? If I need to re-oil and cream every time I use the board, then sharpening knives seems far simpler.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I used one of the Boos applicators (I know it’s stupid expensive, but like the cap so I can throw it in cupboard). I kept coating both sides with oil over a few days until after 18-24 hours there was still oil on the surface, Wiped off the excess and then put two coats of board cream on. I feel like I understand the process, but if I’m going to do this every time I use it, it’s going to get tiresome. I guess I’m asking how often you should have to oil a board after it’s conditioned?

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Every few weeks or so. NOTE: I'd avoid soap as much as possible, esp early on. But it sounds like it still is absorbing oil. I've been there... hang in there

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Wood ages, an it's characteristics change, accordingly...

Same/Same as alla yall, an my danged ol self..".Time Takes Its Toll"

Yer board might even have different woods glued together, this further complicates th whole hydration process...

Keep on hydratin th cuttin board, though, until it begs ya to stop.

From then,on, ya knows already what to do, an, Most Importantly, Not to Do????, right?

Ya Gots This, Brotherman, ai'ght???
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 17, 2021, 01:26 AM.

rickgregory Polarbear777 and anyone else that has a thought to share. When do you give up on a board? I’ve been coating this board 4-7 times a day with oil for a solid week. Most of the board quit absorbing the second round after a coat or two (why I thought it was ready in the first place). 2-3 pieces still soak in everything every few hours, I’ve got to be over 30 coats of oil on the groove side The flat side was up for a day or two during this week and has to have over 10. The board is pretty, but I could sharpen my knives weekly for a year and have less time invested than trying to get this board ready for a second use.

To quantify in oil, this is almost 3/4 of a bottle of Boos mystery oil AFTER I thought it was originally ready - 2/3 to 3/4 of the board isn’t absorbing more oil.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Throughout th piece, certainly. it will, invariably, vary in density...

When none of it will take any oil, Poof!
      Bob's yer Uncle
      Toodles, Amigo.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh Mr. Bones I know you’re still a workin man, so you understand there’s only so many hours in a day for work, oiling a stupid cutting board and sipping some shine. So, my point is drop the stupid thing in a vat of mineral oil for a few days before you ship it out, right?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Full, possibly, necessarily weighted Immersion??

Honest Truth? Cain't rightly say that I've ever done tried it, personally...

In Theory, sounds Sound, enough, from where I set. Fergive my complete lack of mathematical savvy, but,th ways that I see it?:

b+o=s/t

Board + Oil=Saturation / Time

When I moved from Oregon to Texas I noticed my butcher block was dry...two weeks and several gallons of mineral oil later it was finally not absorbing. It was shocking just how much it used...new boards (or neglected blocks) will usually take a long time to fully saturate but once done regular maintenance is fairly quick.
    Last edited by Loren; May 17, 2021, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      GolfGeezer I’m hoping this Boos will be good once I get it conditioned, I just don’t have experience knowing what it really takes to get there I guess. When oil started sitting on the surface overnight, I thought it was ready. I wasn’t getting down within inches and examining every single board to make sure every individual piece was ready. I can see now, that’s where it looked unconditioned after I used it once.

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy Heh-heh. What I didn't make clear is that I had zero experience or knowledge about caring for it, and it is still going strong. Just keep applying some oil after cleaning, (cheap mineral oil is all I've ever used). I think these boards (and Boos has a great rep) are very durable - afterall, mine has survived me and my ignorance "of the right thing".

• Loren
      Loren commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy the Boos cream is good for once the board is saturated, the beeswax helps retain a fair amount of oil...but it is spendy. I ended up ordering regular food grade mineral oil from Amazon because I could buy in gallons vs. the 16 ounce containers available at HD or Lowes.

I also wouldn't shy away from soap depending on what your cutting (meat...onions, that stuff).

My secret Santa gave me a board for Christmas but I am not at the house and I can't find the post right now. I'll find it and post it later. It is a pretty good board.

Comment

Here is a pic of the board troymeister got me. I put a few coats of mineral oil on it, don't remember how many but it seemed like a lot at the time. I have added oil a couple times since. I recycled the box so I am not sure where he got it from
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_132236.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.0 KB ID:	1032679

Comment

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you like Kevin. When I saw it, I knew it had your name on it. No pun intended...lol

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s Sweet!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally Nee-Ice Cuttin Board, Keb'n!

Much credit in Good Taste, to Brother troymeister !!!

While havin this here cuttin board, by no possible stretch of th magination, would ever allow me to even ride on th same dang danged School Bus as alla yall Kewl Kids, I does have me this here one, rye cheer:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201107_090333 (Custom).jpg Views:	0 Size:	341.4 KB ID:	1032799
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 17, 2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Niiiiicccceeee Bones. Legendary indeedy

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Many Thanks fer yer Kind Words, My Friend.

"Legendary"? Me??? Pah!!!, sez I

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."

I. Newton, C. 1675

Alla yall Big Lugs, such as yerself, Huskee , Spinaker , Steve B , bein bout 6'4", an some change, have made it easy fer me to see, Brothers!

Reckon, I'm jus a Passenger, on this here Express Train, yall!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 17, 2021, 04:12 PM.

glitchy I don't know if you've bought your board yet, but the John Boos board that you linked is available for only $95 through Amazon Warehouse. It says that the packaging is damaged - every time I've bought something from Amazon Warehouse with that description, there was absolutely no problem with the actual item, though YMMV

Edit: OK, I should have read the whole thread first. But, for anyone else, I am referring to the John Boos board on his initial post.
      Last edited by prepperjack; June 2, 2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• Henry B
        Henry B commented
        Editing a comment
        No kidding, and it seems more frequent too. High value items should be ordered with caution.

Does anyone have a butcher block top on a permanent outside butcher block table top? If so, does it need special oil or will mineral oil do? I have looked at concrete and other options, but the butcher block was free, so...
      Last edited by RichardCT; June 14, 2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

No doubt I'm late to this party but here was my thinking about cutting boards. My thoughts are, what is safer for my knives? I have 3 that I absolutely love and are extremely sharp. I will hone them, but I don't have the confidence to sharpen them properly. Short version I picked up a couple of different size Boo's and my knives remain intact. The price of the Boo's will offset the cost of sending them to to Bob Kramer in Washington State more frequently.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here