Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Le Creuset vs. Staub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Le Creuset vs. Staub

I’m in the market for replacing our cuisinart 7 qt Dutch oven. I really like the look of the Staub over the Le Creuset but I’m concerned over seeing the browning/maillard effect with a matte black interior.

Anyone have direct experience with either and/or both?

I have lodge, like it. But I think u might be looking at a Audi instead of Ford. All depends on what u like. I like that the lodge inside is light, for scraping fond and stuff. All depends on what what’s most important

Comment

I have nothing but good to say about Le Creuset. My collection goes back to the 90s with no real signs of wear. They cook great and are pretty much non stick once fully seasoned. Never owned Staub so no comment. Both are quality products but I think Le Creu is the Mercedes of cookware.

Comment

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        Ultimately I think it'll end up coming down to selection at the two outlet stores. I'm sure either will be great DOs

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        How does seasoning work with an enameled dutch oven? Or are these straight CI dutch ovens?

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        You really don't need much of any seasoning in an enameled dutchie. They eventually take on a sort of seasoning but I just started cooking in mine and never even gave it a thought. The enamel is very slick and you can scrub the heck out of it to get it clean. That's the beauty of it, it's not porous like CI but has all the cooking characteristics.

I’m definitely leaning towards the Le Creuset. Not to mention the fact that there’s an outlet store about 15 minutes from me. When I think about the recipes I usually cook in a Dutch oven I think I need the visual edge the light colored Le Creuset gives.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m a visual guy. I own a couple LC pieces including a yellow Dutch oven. I love the colors. You can’t go wrong w Le Creuset.
        Last edited by JCBBQ; March 3, 2021, 11:37 AM.

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        JCBBQ I like the colors as well. Unfortunately SWMBO wants me to stick with either black or white. Very into her color schemes, she is.

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah! Sooooooo, why’re you askin’ us again?

When I was a package car driver for UPS in Berkeley I picked up a Staub at Sur la Table on Fourth St, must have been 2002 or 2003. We've used it quite a bit over the years, and still looks as good as the day I bought it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3692.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	998382

Name:	IMG_3693.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	998383

Comment

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        The durability of finish is a big attraction on the Staub. My previous DO with white interior stained fairly easily.

I prefer Staub myself, but you can't go wrong with either. The black interior on the Staub is only an issue until you learn your stovetop settings and getting it the right temperature to sear without burning.

Comment

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point, one which pulls me back in that direction!

Love my large oval Staub. It's a workhorse, and shows no signs of wear after years of use.

Kathryn

Comment

I bought a Staub and a Le Creuset when Costco had a sale on them two Christmas' ago. The Staub is a round 5qt DO, the LC was an oval 6qt. I kept the Staub due to it being a little heavier/thicker; but man was the orange color on the LC hard to say good bye to.

...later I did purchase a LC enameled CI skillet, so I could have the orange color in my kitchen 😎
        Last edited by Loren; March 3, 2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I have two Lodge Dutch ovens and they are wonderful. My wife came across a Le Creuset oval DO at Bed Bath and Beyond a few years ago at the going out of business sale and picked it up for 50% off. It is also amazing, and much lighter than the Lodge. My older Lodge has discolored a bit on the inside bottom, I haven’t tried to take Bar Keeper’s friend on it. I also have a Le Creuset enameled skillet and I can get great color on food when searing, so I don’t think you would have an issue with that.

I don’t have experience with Staub, but I do like the product offering they have. THey look great!

Comment

I recently acquired an enameled 6qt. Lodge DO. I’ve done chicken dumplings and a roast in it. Both cooks turned out great and cleanup was easy. I’m only mentioning because I’ve had good luck with Lodge products. Both CI and my carbon steel pan.

Comment

Name:	C393F9BA-0329-49B5-B9AD-3E420F80782F.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	999773 I ended up with a Staub 9 qt 30% off at the outlet store in Livermore, CA. Look forward to our first cook! Maybe roast chicken? Pics will be posted!

Comment

Honestly, flip a coin. LOL

They're both great and will serve you well for decades. There is a slight learning curve with the Staub, but it’s not that big of an issue...and it will never stain regardless of what is thrown in there. I use which ever one is closest to hand these days.

Comment

I have both and like Staub better. But both are great. Mercedes vs. BMW

Comment

My wife tells me we're in the market for a new DO. The old lodge is very stained on the inside bottom. Does that mean it's ruined? It sure looks bad. I have been looking at Le Creuset, I wasn't aware of Staub, but will look at them now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here