Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Toy: Matfer Bourgeat Carbon Steel Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Toy: Matfer Bourgeat Carbon Steel Pan

A Birthday Present (double nickels) from my wife. A Matfer Bourgeat 12" Carbon Steel Pan.

Below is the evolution of the seasoning process. They recommend sautéing potato skins with salt and oil 2 times for 15 minutes each time. Then I heated a very thin coat of oil until there was no smoke.

Im about fry an egg and see..

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5471.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.49 MB ID:	985689Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5472.JPG Views:	0 Size:	6.55 MB ID:	985690Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5474.JPG Views:	0 Size:	6.36 MB ID:	985692Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5478.JPG Views:	0 Size:	6.23 MB ID:	985691Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5485.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	985688

Nice! I’m a big fan of carbon steel pans (have a De Buyer myself). Yours sure looks rock solid 👊
    what do you think so far? How did the egg turn out? Just keep seasoning it and cook with it, it really will be better with age.

Comment

That sure is a beauty. Congrats and Happy Birthday.

Comment

It didn't pass the egg test first seasoning. I have it in the oven with a very thin layer of canola oil at 425° for an hour. After it cools I will try again.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          You are good - ya answered my question before I even posted it...

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          You do still need to oil it for eggs. If do it bare, I doubt it will ever pass.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory - I have a Stargazer 10" CI pan that I am probably gonna make a second attempt at eggs on tomorrow - after a second round of seasoning...

Lookin' forward to your egg report.

Comment

• troymeister
          troymeister commented
          Editing a comment
          Not quite there yet. Almost...A few sticky areas. I know with time it will get better.

Nice pan!

Comment

You and I are on the same path. My Matfer Bourgeat 8 5/8” has been a challenge. I’m finally getting it to the point my eggs don’t stick. Like Henrik said, we just gotta keep using them, they get better.

What I learned is to get the pan just hot enough, use butter. When it bubbles a bit the pan is perfect. If it smokes, too hot, if it just melts, too cold. Also, don’t just dump the egg in the pan, you’ll break the surface tension of the butter and that raises the chances of the egg sticking.

Comment

I like those CS pans! I’ve looked at them a number of times, just haven’t bought one since I have another style. But I do like them! Enjoy cooking with that!

Comment

Happy birthday. Enjoy the pan.

Comment

I did not use mine that often for some reason.

Comment

Happy Birthday. I haven't gone into csp yet. Watching you.

Comment

My wife got me one of those (the 10 inch version) a couple Christmases ago. Love using it but I don't use it anywhere near as much as I should.

Comment

Keep us posted. Thank you in advance.

Comment

Following.....

troymeister btw,its not "double nickel". We are the same age as the super bowl. 🤣🤣🤣

funny, one of the corporate restaurants I opened in SoCal was store number 55. We dubbed it the "double nickel".

Comment

• troymeister
                          troymeister commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I use the term "Double Nickels" because when we were kids, we used to play various dice games, Yahtzee, Ship Captain Crew and some others. Different combinations of dice would have nicknames i.e...Box cars, Double Nickels, Snake Eyes...etc...Double Nickels always stuck with me...lol

I've never heard of that seasoning process. I have an inexpensive one. Was never able to season it properly. I'll have to try again

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here