Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Wok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Wok

Since I got my new gas range with the 22K BTU burner and an included wok ring, I thought it was time to buy a proper wok. I bought a 14" hand hammered carbon steel wok off of Amazon. It is this one:

Before seasoning it, I read a bunch of articles and watched a ton of YouTube videos. It seems there are a lot of different ways that people season their carbon steel woks. After a lot of research, I settled on this one:

Which uses the "double burn" technique. First (after a very through cleaning) you place the wok over high heat and keep it there, slowly moving it around, until the whole surface of the wok has turned a blue-ish color. You then let it cool down some, add a small amount of high smoke point cooking oil, rub it around the whole inside surface then turn the heat back on and "burn" it again. This time, the goal is for all of the oil you applied to the wok to stop smoking. When one area stops smoking, move another area over the flame. When you are done, the whole inside surface has a nice patina and very smooth and slick plastic-like coating and you are ready to cook in it. I was pretty nervous doing this with a brand new piece of equipment, but it seems to have turned out really great. Some sites also say to then cook some aromatics, such as ginger, scallions and onions until they are dark brown or even black, moving them all over the surface of the wok with wok utensils, then throw them out. This is supposed to remove any metallic taste from the wok for future cooking. I didn't do that part yet, but probably will after I can get to the store to buy ginger and scallions. Here is what my wok looks like after seasoning:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seasoned Wok.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.50 MB ID:	943266
    Last edited by Dewesq55; November 21, 2020, 04:28 PM.

looks ready to me, let the stir fries begin

Comment

That’s the technique I use for all thin carbon pans. So much faster and works great. . But of course has to be done outside because that’s where the power is and that is where the smoke won’t be a huge problem.

check out this thread for wok ideas:

There was a little mention of cooking with a wok on the pod cast. Just thought I’d toss in my 1 & a 1/2 cents into the fray. Cast Iron was mentioned, it is not good for Chinese

Comment

Looks like it’s ready to go. Beats an oven seasoning. My friend seasoned his in the oven and burnt the helper handle to a crisp and it fell off. The wok never balanced correctly again. That was a friend by the way, definitely not me.

Comment

Amazon link?

Comment

I got a wok a while back. I haven’t cooked on it often, but food prep is really fast.

Comment

Nice, I thought maybe wok a dog. But that not wight. Or a new wock garden for a wabbit that goes oppity, oppity, opt.

Comment

Ya done good! I did use the onions & a little bok choy for my two, but you got the job done. The important thing now is many cooks.

Comment

I’ve been eyeing a few woks the last few months. Will be waiting to hear how this cooks for you. It’s time for me to up my wok game and get away from the non stick

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Take a look at the wokshop.com. Ya don’t have to get anything fancy or expensive.
                  Last edited by FireMan; November 30, 2020, 11:55 AM.

Dewesq55 how is the wok doing? I’ve got three Woks picked out that I’m trying to narrow down to one. This one you picked up, a Craft Wok for about $20 more, and a Wok Shop wok, which is close to price as this, but the shipping charges add up to be similar to a Craft Wok.

are you happy with the build quality over the month you have had it?

Comment

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  barelfly -The wok is great. I really like everything about it. If I had to nit-pick, it's a tad heavy for me (maybe I'm just weak.) I have some difficulty holding it with my left hand alone. The other nit-pick would be the size. My first wok, many years ago, was 16" and I'm having a little trouble getting used to a 14 incher. I have tossed a few things out of it. But the quality is excellent and I've cooked some really good dishes in it.
                  Last edited by Dewesq55; December 28, 2020, 04:00 PM.

• barelfly
                  barelfly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Dewesq55 - just ordered it. I think this is the same size as what the non-stick I have is, but looking forward to cooking on this!

I’ll have fun with it and the upkeep should be fine, as I have Smithey carbon steel that I love using.

Thanks again!

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  barelfly - My pleasure. I think you made a good choice.

I have one. Make sure after cooking that you wash it and then dry. Rub it down with oil and warm it on the stove to make sure it is completely dry. Store it like that. Don't leave it in the sink for long with water in it. It will still rust. Before the next use just rince with hot water, dry and oil and your ready to go.
                Hand hammered woks are the best.
                ​​​​​​
                Last edited by Joetee; December 28, 2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Just ordered the hand hammered carbon steel flat bottom 14 inch from Wok Shop. Thanks for all the conversation here, it made the choice easy.

I got the version with just the metal loop handles on each side. Once it arrives, I'll probably break down and get myself a set of silicone pads for those handles and one for my Lodge skillet.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Those are generally called Cantonese woks. My very first wok was a 16" Cantonese that I bought in a supermarket in Chinatown in Manhattan. I had it for many years but lost it in the divorce along with all of my cooking equipment other than my 10" chef's knife.
                    Last edited by Dewesq55; December 28, 2020, 08:22 PM.

Santa brought me a new Craft Wok as well. It's heavier than the one I bought in China Town 20 years ago. Seems very nicely made. After watching the videos posted here I think I messed up my seasoning. I just heated it with oil. I didn't do a pre-burn to change its color.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Congratulations! Looking forward to pix of the food you cook in it. I think your seasoning will be fine. There are still some sources, Serious Eats among them, who still teach to season the way you did. I wouldn't worry about it. But I do like the way the pre-burn makes it look.

• Old Glory
                    Old Glory commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! Seems ok. Made fried rice with it based on Serious Eats recipe it came out pretty good and had very little sticking. Everyone loved it and commented how fresh it tasted compared to take out.

The school of Wok videos are very good. I will be trying out a bunch of them.

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Old Glory - also check out Chinese Cooking Demystified on YouTube. Some really great videos there.

A wok used over a vortex is much better than a electric stove. I have the Weber kettle with the grate with the hole in the middle. Works perfect.

Comment

• TripleB
                    TripleB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Got the same. Gonna give that a try this week with some chicken stir fry.

Thanks again for the recommendation on this wok, Dewesq55 - got home today and was able to get it ready for some Broccoli with Beef tonight.

I love the blueing that happens with this! Pretty cool. I also stir fried some onions and scallions in it. But, not the same black patina that you have after initial burn in. See how it works tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5A589A57-6324-4514-84DE-3E3434722173.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	967508

Name:	06574BF7-E069-458A-8471-C587F6A95FED.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	967509

Name:	A9F761D4-4C4B-4B75-8DA6-3AC581E68366.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	967510

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're most welcome. Enjoy it!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here