Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought new skewers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought new skewers

I've been wanting to get good skewers for quite some time. But I'm not fond of the thin 'rods' that are available in most stores, I wanted the flat skewers so it's easier to rotate them without the food rotating or falling off. After a bit of Amazon searching I decided on these:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7107.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.92 MB ID:	860854

They're 23 inches long, and 1 inch wide. Perhaps too long, to be honest, but what the heck. Should be good! Ever since I bought the PK (original) I have had the need for skewers. These should be just perfect for laying across the grill, on the edge of the lower half.

The odd thing is that there is 7 (not 6 or 8) skewers, but I don't need that many either. I'm probably gonna keep 3 in the city and bring 4 to my country side house where I keep the majority of my grills/smokers.

The first cook will most likely be the Serbian dish Cevapcici. Here's a recipe from Allrecipes.com that looks good.

Last edited by Henrik; June 12, 2020, 05:13 AM.

Flat skewers are a must. Those look like Brazilian skewers.

Comment

I like the flat ons, too, but those appear to ne wider than any that I have. I found some on sale a while back that have a slider which can push all the meat or veggies off of the skewer. The wood handles on yours are a nice touch.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, these were wider than I've seen before. Not sure if they're too wide, we'll see after first use. That slider sounds smart.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw on Amazon that the same company also makes ones that are only ⅝" wide. I think those might be better.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, missed those. Yes, Dewesq55, those are probably better. Oh well, I'm just gonna take one for the team and eat a little more :-)

Those are nice. They would be good for the tandoor. Also, the recipe looks good. I think it word be good in the tandoor as well.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree, the Tandoor would be great for cooking with these.

That was a short ownership. Decided to return them now, since the 5/8” version exists.
      BUT: those don’t ship to my address, for some unknown reason. Oh well, back to browsing Ye Olde Web

Comment

Here are holders for the skewers too, if that interests you, gcdmd .
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3JD4Z0Q0&psc=1

Both the skewers and holders are in my cart, waiting for my mini-MCS attack to cool down. I blame Henrik for precipitating the attack with this topic.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; June 12, 2020, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol! We all need someone else to take the blame for our MCS!

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Kathryn..... STOP IT!!!

Crud Doc. Not the skewers and holders are in my cart. 🤦🤦

Wow, they didn't look to be 1" wide, those were some big skewers!

Comment

Thanks you guys........I can always count on you to thin my wallet.......5/8” headed my way

Comment

Not too long IMO. I have a set that can span my 26.75" kettle.

Comment

Check Islamic grocery sites. They use wide flat skeweres.

Comment

I have the same set and they are great for meat and most veggies. Challenging for delicate or smaller foods like shrimp.

Comment

• smokenoob
                smokenoob commented
                Editing a comment
                yes, for shrimp I like the two prong wire type, bent at middle 180 degrees

Here's mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_180734.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	860965

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
                I have the same set and they are great for meat and most veggies. Challenging for delicate or smaller foods like shrimp.
                This method is pretty solid for shrimp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191122_190557.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	860968

Comment

My great uncle was Serbian and made Cevapcici at family gatherings. So good.

Comment

Dang!! Thanks all. Looks like you only need one Henrik. Skewer a whole tenderloin and call it a day.

Comment

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lol - one pig -> one skewer.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here