Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cracked my pizza stone. Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And here I was goin to offer a stone that I have. I have been out of sorts for awhile. Mebbee I’ll ketchup. You will love that Lodge.

Comment

Did a calzone tonight on pamper chef stone. In oven at 500 preheated with stone in oven. Results below.

My wife looked it up and this came up.

https://bakingsteel.com/blogs/news/w...-to-prevent-it

Going to look into some of the stuff you folks posted.

I should add the calzone was great.
      Used my wife's Thanksgiving sauce. A tomato based sauce with meat. Added pepperoni and mozzarella cheese. I added FlatIron 4 Pepper to kick it up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201120_193322.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	943108
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20201120_195937.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.99 MB ID:	943037
      Last edited by RichieB; November 20, 2020, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the one I cracked.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        When you made the calzone you broke the stone?

Dang - that's too bad! Those baking steels seem terribly expensive to me - worth it?

Comment

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope for the amount of times I do pizza/calzone I can't justify that $$.

The stone was given to us by my daugter, she never used it. Think it was a wedding gift. For now I'll for go a purchase and use one of my Lodge skillets or pans. 10 and 12 inch respectivly. If that doen't work then I'll rethink.

Thanks for the post, I think I will get a cast iron pizza "Stone" pan.

Comment

If anyone is looking to get a baking steel, instead go for the baking steel griddle flat side for baked goods and a channel for grease on the other side for a griddle over two burners or a fire. I use the griddle side way more often and that alone makes it a good choice. It’s also pretty seriously indestructible.

Though as stated before to bake pizzas in a grill or smoker above 450F, the steel transfers too much heat from the bottom unless you’ve got the means to push just as much heat at the top of the pizza. If running that high, the stone is the better choice. If running indoor oven or lower temps, I think the steel can work to your advantage. (Steel very hot + broiler from the top works well).

Comment

Fess up, you just wanted a new stone.

Comment

I cracked a stone once. I "assembled" it back and it now sits on the bottom of my range just as an additional heat conductor. I couldn’t tell you the brand it was. Gotta a new stone from a commercial chef store by me.

a steel fascinates me, though!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here