Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cracked my pizza stone. Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked my pizza stone. Now what?

Some like pizza steels. I'm leaning towards another stone. Recommendations? Brand?

Whew, thought this post was about smoking crack.......

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Haaa. I knew you would get all excited about that. 😂😂😂

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      To each their own!!! lolol

The free site recommends Pizzacraft. Looks good to me .

Pizzacraft 16.5" Round ThermaBond Baking/Pizza Stone - for Oven or Grill - PC9898 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IF2ZNM/

Comment

I like my Lodge 14" cast iron pizza pan... if you crack it... then you are doing something impressive or crazy.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        JCGrill I have been using the "Grate Tool" that came with my Grillgrates and its working well to turn and lift 14" pizzas. The pizza we've been making with the Lodge beats most pizza we get out, assuming you find a good crust recipe. I think I will post a recipe in the bread section soon.

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        I know you have grill grates, you ever try just placing the pizza on that?

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Razor I have baked a store bought pizza on the gas grill on the Grillgrates. Tends to want to scorch the bottom before the top is done. But I was also shooting for 350 temps to match the indoor baking directions for the oven. Did it on the rail side and got some grill marks basically. Was crispier than in the oven. I don’t think I would do it that way on my kettle where I am pushing 600F with a wood fire.
        Last edited by jfmorris; June 9, 2020, 05:37 AM.

Ceramic chef...

Round Ceramic Chef®. Oblong Ceramic Chef®. Buckeye Block. American made ceramic cooking stone.

best quality! Top notch!!

Comment

Love my baking steel. Works better than a stone and indestructible.

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Not much thermal mass though.

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          JCGrill - but better conductivity. Under the same conditions (my home oven) my steel cooks the pizza faster and gives a better crust for a NY style pizza. More mottled and better texture. I haven’t made more than 3-4 pizza is one session but steel kept up in this scenarios but I do wait to pull the pizza before stretching and topping the next.

I was about to recommend a Rada Cutlery pizza stone, but it looks like they are no longer making them. I'll take extra care of mine now! It's awesome and more durable than other pizza stones I've had. I have a pizza steel too, but I like the stone better.

Comment

I got my stone from The Ceramic Grill Store. https://ceramicgrillstore.com/ . I've had it a long time and used it a lot on my BGE. At least take a look at what they have---several shapes and sizes (5/8" thick I believe). I cracked my Wife's ceramic stone (Thin) from Pampered Chef.

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            I cracked two Pampered Chef stones over the last decade, now I have a Baking Steel. I also bought a PizzaCraft baking stone which works well too.
            Last edited by 58limited; June 6, 2020, 06:28 AM.

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            Cracked my PC stone too!

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine was also Pampered Chef.

AR recommends a Pizzacraft stone here https://amazingribs.com/pizzacraft-1...ingpizza-stone. I've bought from them and have been satisfied

Comment

I use a steel in my oven and a stone in my grill. For whatever thermodynamics are happening that is the best best setup for me.

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              For temps near 500F. The baking steel wins by far. The greater thermal conductivity helps compete with the broiler.

Outside, you can achieve temps much higher than 600F. In that case the stone works better because the steel has TOO much transfer and burns the bottom before the top finishes.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Polarbear777 That makes sense and is my experience.

I use and recommend a Fredstone for outdoor / wood fired pizzas.

Comment

Anyone try this one? Not available on Amazon right now, but looks interesting.

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              Haven’t tried that one. Honestly it’s the first I’ve seen it.
              That said, I have a couple Emile Henry pieces and they’re excellent.

• Arsenlael
              Arsenlael commented
              Editing a comment
              Appears to be back in stock...and cheap...?

After breaking at least 3 pizza stones over the years, I went to a Pizza Steel and have never looked back.

Comment

I saw your comment amount thermal mass. Have I got a stone for you. Fibrament-D mfg'd in IL and sold through bakingstone.com. I bought mine many decades ago and its still going strong. It should, "its made from a patented blend of kiln-fired high temperature and conductive raw materials approved by NSF International for use in baking ovens."

Mine is 15 x 20 x 3/4 and weighs in at 20 lbs. (Other sizes, shapes and custom if you're so inclined are available) Its intended to be left in the oven - although I hump mine in and out - just because. As I mentioned I have used it for many years. It makes fantastic hearth breads and very acceptable home made pizza. A couple of years back, my SO surprised me a Baking Steel (16 x 14 x 1/4 16 lbs). Finally! excellent homemade pizza. But it also has its issues. Its a little hot for hearth breads and it doesn't hold the heat well for back to back pizzas. Since I had both, I started to experiment with using them in different arrangements and baking styles in the oven. I've finally settled on using the Fibrament topped directly with the Steel. I still get the excellent pizzeria crust of the Steel but I also gained the thermal mass of the Fibrament for consecutive pies.

Now I don't suggest that the results of this arrangement are worth the $200 to replicate - but if you've got something you might as well use it to its best advantage. T'were I to do it all over now, I'd just buy a Steel, its disadvantages have work arounds and the end results are the best bang for the buck. But as you've got your reasons for not wanting a steel, I highly recommend the Fibrament over any of the clay based pizza stones out there - if only for durability and thermal mass characteristics. As an aside, Fibrament can be used in a grill or kamado style cooker as long as its not exposed to direct flame.

Comment

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                I actually read another site that suggests a steel on top of a stone, so you are not alone.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice and useful commentary. Thanks!

jfmorris
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20200702_155606.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	873812

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Good all round choice!
                I've had mine bout three years, an love it, indoors, or out!
                Makes great biscuits on th kettle, pizza, an many other things.

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris mostly outdoors. Gas and Kettle I'd think.

• Jim White
                Jim White commented
                Editing a comment
                I used mine yesterday and will use it again tomorrow. I run at 550 in my oven for about two minutes and then switch it to broiler to get the top browned. Total time under 5 minutes when using the baking steel 72 hour dough.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here