Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tamagoyaki Japanese/Korean Rectangular Omelette Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tamagoyaki Japanese/Korean Rectangular Omelette Pan

Lifted from the SUWYC Topic:

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
    I'm on an omelette kick LOL.

Click image for larger version  Name:	omelet.jpg Views:	195 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	765857
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Omelet 2.jpg Views:	176 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	765858
    I'm loving your self-described Omelette Kick so much, Ernest that I ordered two similar pans from Amazon to make Japanese Tamagoyaki Omelettes.

Here is a link for a non-stick rectangular skillet which comes in two sizes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mazingribs--20

Click image for larger version  Name:	71ca6U8pn1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	113 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	766111

And here is a link for a cast iron rectangular skillet (there are several on Amazon)

https://www.amazon.com/Tamagoyaki-Ja...mazingribs--20

Click image for larger version  Name:	51UczNouXSL._AC_SL1000_.jpg Views:	122 Size:	30.1 KB ID:	766110

If you scroll down the first link for the non-stick skillets (or click this one), you'll find a pictorial tutorial on how to make Japanese/Korean Tamagoyaki Omelettes. Here are a few photos from that tutorial:

Click image for larger version  Name:	53840120-00ba-489c-b72b-978d7fd518ca._CR0,0,1800,1800_PT0_SX300__.jpg Views:	113 Size:	10.7 KB ID:	766112Click image for larger version  Name:	43676445-4aee-4767-b607-31099f607a4d._CR0,0,1800,1800_PT0_SX300__.jpg Views:	112 Size:	15.8 KB ID:	766113
    Click image for larger version  Name:	792194ce-ba9c-459c-84df-ee3335545916._CR0,0,1800,1800_PT0_SX300__.jpg Views:	115 Size:	14.3 KB ID:	766114

I bought both sizes of the non-stick skillets and plan on giving this omelette technique a try this weekend. The medium size holds a 2-3 egg mixture, apparently, and the large size holds a 4-6 egg omelette, from what I can gather from reading the comments. If I can make it look as pretty as Ernest's omelettes, I may be pairing a pan with an appropriately-sized spatula for Xmas gifts for our girls.

Thanks, Ernest, for the inspiration, and for making me fork even more money over to Amazon.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; November 16, 2019, 09:14 AM.

If it works for you, I'll be ordering a couple too!

Comment

Added to the shopping list on Amazon. I'm a sucker for omelette stuff.

Comment

texastweeter , the possibility of Xmas gifts is the reason why I chose to test out the non-stick kind of pan; no way would either of our girls be patient enough to mess with cast iron maintenance. Their pans all go in the dishwasher.

Kathryn

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          your not going to get one of the black iron ones too?

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe, texastweeter . I'll see how it goes with the non-stick pans first.

K.

fzxdoc doc Just the other day I was searching for some ingredients for a dish I was planing to make at a website I use for Japanese dishes. I saw this omelet pan there. A bit high end.
        https://toirokitchen.com/collections...an-kanto-style

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, googling Tamagoyaki Pans yields a treasure trove of options. Some sort of spendy. Me, I like Peppy and Cheap, especially in the research phase of a new technique.

Kathryn

The recipe with the tutorial lists spam as an optional ingredient! That alone makes me want one.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          I enjoy spam too!

This is cruel. I admired Ernest ‘s omelets. I love making omelets & eatin them after I learned Pepin’s method. I figured I could leave well enough alone. Then YOU have to repost his pitcher & go n’ get not one but two skillets, then advertise fer a third. What’s a sap like me to do. Whoa is me! 🕶
        Last edited by FireMan; November 7, 2019, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahaha. Exactly what I was going to say. Ernest was bad enough posting the photos. "I will never find those pans so I can’t spend money" I said to myself. Now this! Dagnabit.

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Who gives a rip?? 🤪🤪

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          A sap just buys a pan cuz he doesn’t give a rip!

Hahaha! I'm down here, under the bus....

Comment

There's much more to the Japanese omlette than just the pan. Its shape is a function of its main use; the square blocks of omelette on top of tamago sushi.

I hope you enjoy this tutorial:

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Bkhuna I have found a few good recipes here. plenty more to research.

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            "Tamagoyaki (卵焼き or 玉子焼き) is sweetened Japanese rolled omelette that resemble mini bars of golden pillows." Now that is a description.

I just put one of these pans on my Christmas list. I see all sorts of uses. Thanks Ernest , fzxdoc , and Bkhuna ! Ernest - I am a real omelet dude so your photos are inspiring.

Comment

One of the keys to getting the omelette to look right with one of these pans is straining the egg after mixing. It gets the really viscous albumin out (which never really mixes unless you power blend the eggs). Not getting it out leaves white blotches.

Comment

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Beat it with a hand blender, you won't need straining.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Good tips, Ernest and mgaretz. Thanks.

K.

Good golly Doc and Ernest just what I need, more pans. I do need a few but never considered these, until now. Gee thanks.

im passing on clicking on the links. Witness this will power in action.

That sound you hear is me grinding the bus gears as I back it up over Ernest. 😃
            Last edited by HouseHomey; November 9, 2019, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Discover the Tamagoyaki Omelette Pan collection at Globalkitchen Japan. Tamagoyaki omelette pans are specialized cookware designed specifically for making tamagoyaki, a delicious Japanese rolled omelette with a slightly sweet flavor and a distinct layered appearance.

Comment

My first attempt. I'd call it good enough to order the pan and spatula for each of our girls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tamagoyaki Omlette 1.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	767348

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tamagoyaki Omlette 2.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	767347Click image for larger version

Name:	Tamagoyaki Omlette 3.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	767349

Plus it was delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                  Michael_in_TX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Layers of flavor...yum...

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dagnabit, Kathryn!!! I was only kidding about the spam, now you had to go and do this.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You won't regret it, klflowers , just do it.

fzxdoc at what temperature did you cook?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here