Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baking Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baking Steel

I am in serious consideration on a 1/4 inch baking steel for my oven. But, the 15 lb thing, I am not sure I can lift that from the oven while sitting in my wheelchair. Everything I read says it should be placed on the top rack and close to the broil (at least for purposes of pizza). I think I may be able to convince myself to get one if I could leave it on bottom shelf, but, still comes the dilemma about seasoning it, or seasoning other pans and putting them on the top rack up side down... anyone have experience good or bad that they would care to share, especially for those that may leave it in the oven.

I leave mine in the oven most of the time with no problems. I don't use the top rack as it's too close and will burn a pizza, 2nd from the top, or about 6 inches, works well for me. It is a little hefty, but can you slide your rack out, place the steel, then slide it all back in? When cooking you're not pulling the steel in and out, just your product. Even breads and muffins I use a peal or spatula, that thing is just too hot to handle with any of the gloves or pads I have.

I'm trying imagine taking it in and out of the oven sitting in a wheelchair. If your oven is a range combo, perhaps set the steel on the rangetop and open the oven enough to slide it onto a rack. Man, you must have to deal with challenges like this daily. I'm always impressed by your posts and how you overcome.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I use it often for pizza in the oven and I really like it. I've made some nice English muffins and burger buns as well. It should come pre-seasoned and I have no problem with maintenance, just a little scraping after a cook. I have wood (actually bamboo) and thin metal peels. The wood ones are great for assembly and the metal ones are invaluable for transferring in and out of the oven. I suggest both.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike, I had read that about 2 pizza Peels, in exact order you had said. Do you take it in and out of the oven a lot, or just leave it in?

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you asking about taking the steel in and out often? I do, but I have full mobility. I think you could leave it on a bottom shelf and work around it. Here's another thought, go to https://www.bakingsteel.com/ and ask them your questions. Andris Lagsdin, the owner, is very responsive. He even sends a personal thank you when you purchase one of his products.

second question, are the 70-80 dollar one required, or does 40 dollars as long as same thickness, the same in user experience?

Comment

This might sound a little elementary, but I seasoned my last wok, baking steel & skillet on the grill (Weber). Don’t know of any rule saying ya hafta use an oven. 🕶

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      the elementary part is the baking steel is 15 lbs and will only be used in the oven, and that is really heavy for me, especially from that angle as I am losing use of my arms and hands, so, from a use it in the oven part, it HAS to be worth any effort I give to it.

Since you are concerned about the weight, a 3/16" steel might be more manageable. I was gifted a 3/16" steel shortly after they came out. I do love it, and it seldom comes out of the oven. I bake thin pizzas high in the oven, and thicker pizzas lower in the oven.

Comment

Just like with BBQ, 10 people will have 12 opinions on stone vs steel and bottom shelf vs top shelf.

my personal view is having it up top gives the greatest results with pizza (I preheat at 550 and then turn on the broiler to cook the pizza) but that doesn’t mean it’s useless on the bottom. I personally think the steel is much more effective than a stone and the pizzas have turned out better on the steel. I don’t keep it in my oven full time as it increases the preheat time but I use it in longer cooks where I may have multiple items in and out of the oven as it really helps to stabilize temps and avoid big drops when I have the door open a lot.

Cant tell you if a cheaper version is as effective. I have the original 1/4 inch baking steel and it’s the only one I’ve used

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        great feedback. Thank you!

I have the large baking steel griddle and I love it, but it is a beast. It also is hard to grip and you definitely aren’t moving it hot. Sliding in and out on an oven rack isn’t bad, but getting it there and removing it may be tough.

if you’ve got two CI skillets, say 12” or larger, stack two and see if you can get them on the target oven rack without using any of their handles. I’d say that’s about as heavy and awkward. Then you’ll know.

Comment

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a Baking Steel this morning.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you order the 1/4" one?

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here