Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at slowly adding some better cookware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Richard Chrz we have an 8 quart with the strainer and a 16 quart that we use for crab boils and collard greens, cause we cook large quantites of greens at one time. Both come in handy.

• glitchy
    replied
    We finally upgraded after using hand me downs for 20 years. I couldn’t stomach the price of All-Clad, so we bought Cooks Standard as a set for about the price of one All-Clad skillet. We’ve been very happy with them, but don’t really use the skillets a lot. We use the sauce pans several times a week. We still use or GreenPan ceramic non stick skillets as about the only things we cook in them are eggs and browning ground beef. You should definitely check the Cooks Standard out on Amazon. Induction compatibility was important to us as we plan on replacing our range with induction when it’s time.

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    Richard Cruz you are talking a dutch oven not a stock pot in the lingo. A dutch oven will let you braise meats. and cook your pasta and make big pots of beans. Normally a 6 qt is a good size. Steamers are normally used with 2-3 qt pans. I have seldom seen a pasta strainer with a dutch oven. But a good dutch oven is one of the most used pans in the kitchen.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 16, 2019, 10:57 PM.

• texastweeter
    replied
    I have 3 types. A set (well 2 actually) of all clad, black iron, and high end nonstick (calphalon). This isn't including bean/stock pots. Never found something one of the three can't handle. Buy once cry once.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    What size stock pot do you find you use the most? I kind of have my eyes on the idea of the 8 qt, that comes with the pull out pasta strainer and the steamer insert.

• klflowers
    replied
    We also have some all clad and a couple large ss stockpots we collected over the years.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Deter
    commented on 's reply
    We used to swear by Anolon, but after our old set wore out the non-stick (which my wife wants), we got a new set and have had buyers remorse ever since

Although I will say that that Authority line looks closer to what we had originally than what we got the second time, so that may be the difference. When we have to replace this I will probably be able to talk my wife into the Calphalon, or maybe even All-Clad.

• TripleB
    replied
    All good advice here on quality pots, pans and skillets. The only thing I would add is buy an inexpensive 8” non-stick sauté pan. I did not say cheap, but inexpensive. The reason is that they do get a bit of use and it is virtually impossible to keep them from getting scratched. Someone will indelibly use a metal spoon, fork or knife to cook their food. Since it’s inexpensive, you won’t get upset and finally will just toss it out when it has served its purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Jim White
    replied
    For non-stick, I've had very good luck with my two year old set of Anolon pots and pans. I went with their Authority line. The 5 quart chef's pan is to die for. You can start a pasta sauce in it, and it's big enough you can strain a pound of mostly cooked pasta and dump it in to finish it in the sauce. They are sometimes on sale for quite a bit off at Macy's, although their website is great too. This set is dishwasher safe and they're holding up well. Also, I'm doomed for now to have an electric cook top. These pans are staying very flat on the bottom, so I get perfect contact with the heating element and even heat distribution.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    Consider waiting for factory second sales from whichever company makes the pans you want to buy.

Personally I don't have anything high end. I have a pretty full set of cast iron with Lodge being the best name. They all seem to work the same to me. I also have several SS pans of varying sizes as well as stainless pots. I have an enamal-coated cast iron pot. My only non-stick pan is a stockpot I got at a second-hand store. I like it because it'll never flake off like a frying pan eventually does which is why I'm generally against non-stick cookware.

One day I might get some high-end stainless but not today.

Leave a comment:

• rodkeary
    replied
    We bought this set on a recommendation when we introduced an induction range top to our kitchen. We still have CI but now use it exclusively outdoors.

It serves our purposes very nicely (only two of us at home now). I'm extremely impressed by the quality. The set sometimes goes on sale for 40% off as well and Home Depot will deliver at no charge.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    That's a solid program....take your time, buy, try, buy some more !!!

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    From what I have read so far on various sites, the heat distribution and ability to change directions in a temp of a pan are pretty big priorities, also handle for oven purposes. I am pretty close to going much deeper down the cooking rabbit hole, and hope to spend a lot of time this winter in my kitchen improving my skill sets. But yes, price matters to me, but, I also can be patient enough to buy a pan and wait 2-6 months before I buy another one, if I m holding off for purposes of quality.

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    First that they are easy to clean. To me that means SS or cast iron or a solid non-stick. What am I looking for. Solid handle attachment, that means rivets or welded, able to go into a hot oven minimum 400 preferably 500. A pan that doesn't take a Greco-Roman wrestler to lift and handle. A non-stick for eggs and other things, there are plenty out there now not using PFTO & PFTE's available. There are 2 of us and in a course of a week we will use on average 3 skillets, 8-10-12 inch, 2-3 sauce pans 1-2-3 quarts. We have one large stock pot, a 21 quart with out strainer, we use a Japanese bird's nest strainer, but we got the pot before the insert come out. You want to look for heavy multi layer bottoms also. One place to look is Webrestatrantstore.com for multiple selection.

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    replied
    Very good solid advise Troutman I have quite a few All Clad pieces (for a few years my Daughter worked at Williams Sonoma) All Clad has factory 2nd sales a couple of times a year and I have gotten some great deals there. I need to look into the Le Creuset, I have a Lodge enameled cast iron that I like.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here