Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's You Favorite Pan??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an old 8” cast iron Griswold that I found in a flea market a few years ago. Silky smooth and lighter than my Lodge and Wagner. It has a cast iron cover as well, but the cover is from around mid 1930. The pan from the early 1920’s. I also have an old Le Creuset saucier I found in an antique shop that I use quite a bit. Love those old pans and skillets.

Comment

vintage West Bend pots and pans with copper bottoms. They were my mothers when she got married... 1949. Also, my grandmothers cast dutch oven and matching fry pan.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting with the West Bend, my wife bought a complete set of pots (no skillet) over 50 yrs ago. She had a couple of broken handles, we took em in 8 to 10 yrs ago, since they were close by. They replaced the whole set, Aluminum clad Stainless.

My lodge CI. Up until recently, I didn't use them much cause everything stuck. Not seasoned!!! Now that I am a member of this esteemed group, and I know how to season them and treat them right, they are about all I use unless I am boiling water. For that we have some all-clad pans.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, you are esteemed kl.

I can do just about any thing on these 3. A good wok, stir fry, fry, steam, boil, etc. A half sheet pan, brown veggies, bake bread, cookies, use as a drip pan use as chicken or turkey roaster with a rack etc. A one and two quart sauce pan make bbq sauces, boil, and other things you do. Preferably Cafalon or equal, I am not particular there are pans of equal quality out there.

Comment

Poco y grande
        Attached Files

Comment

My wife likes the cheap non stick pans, so there is limited space for the "good stuff. So my most used pans are the All Clad 12" and the carbon wok.

Comment

I'm a big fan Field Company cast iron skillets. They are made in the U.S.A. And, they remind me a lot of the vintage cast iron ware that collectors so prize.

Comment

Le Creuset Dutch oven
              Add-Clad Stainless 12 in frying pan
              Lodge CI 10 in frying-pan from a garage sale.

Comment

Peter.

Comment

• Willard
                  Willard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Damn. Wish I would have thought of that one 😂.

I may need some less-favorite pans because I abuse mine.

Here in NYC everyone cooks indoors with gas, unless you can't. We can't because the our gas riser failed its tests. We returned what could have been my range of a lifetime, a Blue Star, and bought a midrange electric induction range well reviewed for high heat. Unlike radiant elements that indirectly heat the cookware, induction elements use magnetic fields to directly heat the cookware. They can also work better than electric radiant if you have low AC voltage, a problem in some large apartment buildings (like ours) or former-commercial conversions to residential.

Our induction range does have very high heat. And I love the controls' instant response. I can gently fry my eggs as runnily as I like while still finishing them with a last-minute crunchy sear, forward- and reverse-sear meats perfectly, and give my stir-fries the wok hei that locks in flavor. But the induction elements' heat isn't uniform, despite the abstractly high-tech look of the glassy, frustatingly delicate cooktop that we're not supposed to bang or even drag our pans/pots on. Our All-Clad multi-ply pans distribute the small center heat source well. But over time, when we use high heat, they warp, bellying up from that center.

Over time, the pans bend until the range will fail to recognize them. We already threw out almost all our old pots and pans because they weren't magnetic enough. We could keep the Lodge and the Le Creusets, but cast iron is actually discouraged on glass cooktops. I miss our wok. Our flat-bottomed Joyce Chen woks were the first to warp into unusability.

I should probably limit my highest heat to cast iron, or buy cheaper stainless steel and expect to throw that out every six months or so.

(Attached photo: the slightest bottom warping of the flat-bottomed wok makes an induction cooktop reject it.)

Comment

• pkadare
                  pkadare commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No photo.

• josh_karpf
                  josh_karpf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hm, I forgot, and I don't see how to add a photo when editing. Never mind; it wasn't a great image anyway.

I have to edit, I have been using my lodge 12 with lid more and more. I bought this pan 5 years ago maybe with big hopes for camping yet never executed or understood it's usefulness in a good meal. Now I am seeing it as a tool that is likely limited only by my imagination. I hope to over time save up for some off the test kitchen's higher rated stainless sauce and other pans. My kitchen cabinet is full of junk pans as well. But, everything in due time and by needs ( the needs are still what I am learning)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here