Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Faux Cambro" this may work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Faux Cambro" this may work.

Heard about this implement from a supplier after sharing some of the tactics I’ve learnt for low and slow cooks, and the importance of a cambro.
    I explained my cambro method and he promptly asked if I have used or could use a Wonderbag during this process.
    I had never heard of it. He informed me his wife had given his gift one away.

I see from the website they are available in USA and was wondering if anyone has come across one or even better use’s one.

I’m keen to get my hands on one to check out. I think it may just work.

What do you think?

Seems bulky and might not protect a disposable aluminum tray very well.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point that's why keen to physically inspect one.

I think it has high potential to make a mess if you tried to carry it with a disposable aluminum pan inside like a lot of use. It might be fine if it stays put on a counter top.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Was thinking of using it in a cooler instead of towels but hear you loud and clear.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahhh, gotcha, holehogg.

I'd stick with a cooler and towels. Easy cleanup if there's ever any sloshing about.

Comment

If you wrap your product in an oven cooking bag before placing it in the bag (with or without also wrapping in towels) it should work with little or no mess. Another possible faux cambro would be one of the large insulated bags like the pizza delivery person uses.
      Last edited by gcdmd; March 12, 2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I'd pass. A quality cooler hot water and towels have never let me down

Comment

Interesting. Seems too nice on the outside. I can see me sloshing stuff all over the cloth exterior. Having said that, it's a positive product that I could see being very useful for some folks. If I could get one sprayed with Rhino Liner, I might consider it.

Comment

I will say with what I got !! When the wife wants new towels more Faux Cambro for me.

Comment

I'm concerned about the statement on their website that says, "it continues to cook for up to 8 hours." That is not the idea of a faux cambro. It's for holding a steady temperature, not continuing cooking. I would want to investigate that further, if I were you.

Comment

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                Had the same thoughts but I'm thinking it basically holds the temp of whatever is placed in the bag and allows it to cook slow and you might add low as the temp does decrease. Spoke to the guy who told me about it and he said it feels as if the pockets are filled with small Polystyrene Balls.

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Gotcha.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here