Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faux Cambro recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faux Cambro recommendations

Anybody out there have a cost efficient recommendation of a cooler that I can use for a Faux Cambro that can hold a full size aluminum pan? Obviously, I could buy a huge cooler and it would fit the bill but I was looking for something that the full size pan might fit snug into. Thanks in advance!

Not really sure, I never find that they fit very well. I had a Coleman 48 that worked pretty well, but I always had to bend the edges up to get it to fit properly.

Comment

I have a range of coolers I use. Most of which I bought second hand. I nest them so they take up less space when being stored.
      Last edited by Attjack; February 8, 2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I use a coleman too, but I am not sure which size you would use to put the pan in since I just use foil and towels. Have you thought about taking a beat up pan to a store and just trying to fit it in some coolers? I say beat up so they won't think you are trying to walk out without paying for it after the testing is complete.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
          Frozen Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          You could always leave you're beat up pan on the shelf with all the new ones before you leave the store.

• BigD
          BigD commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea! I'll put this on the to do list

Watch Craigslist the real Cambro's show up there now and again and for decent prices. That's where I found mine. Then get yourself some real steam table pans and save on the cost of all those aluminum pans. Actually even if you bought a Cambro new it would eventually pay for itself through function and savings on aluminum pans. Not to mention they hold much better than a cooler and towel.

I hold pork butts overnight all the time in mine. I can hold them 14 hours and when I take them out they are still probing at 140 or better. It's nice to be able to go to bed after cooking pork butts for 12 hours or more and not have to worry about pulling them until the next day.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
          Frozen Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          That was a drawback those pans in the smoker. I bought pan liners and put them on the outside of the pan to keep the grease and smoot off them.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea. Do you just wash them in the dishwasher then?

• Frozen Smoke
          Frozen Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          We use the laundry sink and just use Dawn dish soap on them. Works great. The pan liners are life savers whether you use them on the inside or outside of the pan.

I'll tell you what, I had a good sized brisket a few months back come off the cooker probe tender. It was in a large foil tray, you know the kind. I wrapped a couple of bath towels around it but there was no way it was going in my cooler so I shoved it into my oven. I turned on the heat until it got to about 150ish then turned it off and left it for two hours. Meat came out still piping hot but at a reasonable slicing temp. What the heck says I, been doin' it that way ever since with briskets, pork butts, whatever needs resting. I know it's not a portable solution and may not be what you asked for but it works for me, give it a try.

Comment

• BigD
          BigD commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm definitely going to try this method when I don't have to transport. Thanks for the idea.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          never hearing of cambros or even that method until the last few months, this is what I did right away, just seemed logical.

Good idea Troutman I like the way you think and I'm going to try that on my next brisket. When I do pork butts I load the smoker up and that's anywhere from 12 to 16 butts at 8 plus pounds each. By the time those are ready to be off the smoker and in the Cambro I'm in no mood to pull 100lbs or more of pork butt much less letting it rest for a few more hours first. I'm usually ready for a rest myself. That's why I love those Cambro;s and their holding ability that lets me do all that pulling the next day.

Comment

I use a Coleman Party Stacker (24 can size) with a bath towel folded up in the bottom. Works quite well.

Comment

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            I use the same cooler. I like it because it has a large footprint but it’s not really deep.

I am a double foil, then towel wrapper. But I am doing only 1 maybe 2 butts or chuckies at a time. I then put them in the smallest of the coolers I own that will fit the meat. I have held up to 4 hours and it serves my purposes.

Comment

These are pretty cool. My brother in law uses them to make deliveries for his BBQ side business. I'm not sure if it'd hold a whole brisket without cutting it down a bit first, but it held two foil pans stacked on top of each other.

Comment

How about a real Cambro GoBox for $45.00 designed for an 8" deep full size pan or 4, 2.5" deep full size pans?

https://www.amazon.com/Cambro-EPP180...-garden&sr=8-1

Comment

• aladdin4d
                aladdin4d commented
                Editing a comment
                Attjack but then there's this review too

"After a couple of months doing BBQ for events, I am finding this thing to work really well. It is much sturdier than standard Styrofoam, and holds the heat for a good 4-5 hours. It's well worth the price."

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha. One for $45 or two for $205.99. Crazy pricing on that item!

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                aladdin4d to me that just confirms its basically styrofoam. I'm sure it insulates but it sounds fragile.

One thing that does come to mind, having tried this in my own coolers with aluminum half sized pans that I use here at the house, is that unless the cooler is a bit bigger than the pan, you will not be able to get under it enough to lift it out without collapsing the pan, if it is full of heavy food. I solve this with the half sized pans by doubling them up to make it stronger. I only have one 60 quart cooler I can even fit those into. All the coolers smaller than that in my garage are too tight for the pan to fit into in one dimension or another.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I think I'm going to look into converting a cooler to sit on its end like a refrigerator and adding rails or shelves for half sizes pans (depending on if I want to use disposable or not). Maybe I'll paint it black too.

I got tired of the cooler and spilling. I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-Cate...6L4?th=1&psc=1

I just ordered a few stainless pans. I also ordered a Cambro ThermoBarrier to avoid the towels when the cateraide wasn’t full. I hope it fits. The sales guy at Global Restaurant said "wood" was a really good insulator if it doesn’t fit.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a nice looking cambro. A little rich for my blood though.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here