Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got my first carbon steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my first carbon steel

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_80609.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	621035 Grabbed a paderno 11.75” that was randomly on sale on Amazon. Also got some pure flaxseed oil and crisbee for the Spinaker seasoning method. I will hopefully get a chance to do it this weekend but who knows since right now its looking like i will need to go into work on saturday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F8291D81-065A-4054-96DB-58928ECAB9E2.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.05 MB ID:	621036

Oh Yeah!!!!! Congrats. You are going to love it!

Comment

That looks very nice.

Comment

Now i just need to get my wife out of the house for 18 hours so i can season it without catching hell...

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          That is one Sweeeeeet looking pan.
          Tell the wife there’s an 18hr only shoe sale at a mall that’s 2hrs away. 😁👍

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha. I like it!

Does it fit in any of your outdoor rigs? I sometimes hang them in the PBC if I still have coals going after a cook.

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          It would absolutely fit on my kettle but i dont know how sensitive to temp the seasoning process is. And trying to get a kettle to hold 500 for the flax and 400 for the crisbee for extended periods of time doesnt sound too much fun. Never thought i would find myself more comfortable holding 225 more than balzing hot before i got a SnS, lol

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Couple of lit chimneys should get over 400 for maybe 45-60 minutes. (How I do wings).

On the PBC I use an intake fan to drive it over 400.

It’s usually fine indoors if you open windows for a cross breeze. Of course if it’s cold outside...

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Anything over 20 min should suffice.

I got one of these from my wife for Christmas: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KEJQJ2...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It was the pan that won Cooks Illustrated's testing and I think she got it for $30 or so. Still need to work on the seasoning. It is heavier than I thought. I was expecting it to be about the same as a stainless steel pan but it is closer to a cast iron pan weight wise. And it seems that the handles on most carbon steel pans aren't great. Might need to pick up one of those pan grips to go with it.

Comment

Beautiful pan, I'm lookin forward to seein ya season it all up!

Comment

Nice pan. Have fun with it.

Amazing how my idea of fun has changed. Used to be hanging out drinking beer. Now it is watching someone season a pan and drinking beer

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Somehow doesn't sound all that different!

Just fire it up! She’ll leave. 😃💪🙏

Comment

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              Didn't realize that's all it took!

The seasoning begins today! My wife is 36 weeks pregnant so hopefully this doesnt put her in labor!

Comment

3rd coat of flax is in the oven. I will post pics after this one before i move to the three coats of crisbee larbee

Comment

• RustyHaines
                RustyHaines commented
                Editing a comment
                I am following this thread closely as I have wanted a carbon steel pan but have been intimidated by the seasoning process. More You Tube videos on it than Dancing With The Stars ! Pics and details please.

Pretty sure i screwed it up. I think i didnt wipe it down enough and left too much oil on there. The surface was not smooth at all. Guess i gotta start over.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, that comes from either two things. Too much oil, or not enough heat. heat the pan, apply the oil, and then wipe it off. Then return to heat. grantgallagher

• JoeSousa
                JoeSousa commented
                Editing a comment
                I am working on seasoning my first carbon steel pan too. Overall it seems harder to get the seasoning to take as well as it does with cast iron. I have about 3 or 4 layers on so far and the surface is pretty slick but a couple times I have cooked on it the seasoning on the cooking surface seems to have come off. It doesn't necessarily flake off but after cooking it is nowhere near as dark as it was.

I will just keep cooking on it and give it another layer of seasoning as I get the chance.

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                Im pretty confident its too much oil. Scrubbed it down and starting again

Howdy, I started with my first carbon steel pans (DeBuyer) about a year ago. It's been a learning process, but not real painful. I got them to get a nice sear on steaks, chops, etc, and they do a beautiful job! I also wanted to use them for breakfast eggs, esp omelettes, and they have worked out fine for that, too.
              Here's what I learned:
              1--the more you cook meat, or foods with oils, butter etc, in them, the better the pans will work for you--like they're self-seasoning when you use them. My initial seasoning hardly did anything to them, but as I just used them, they got better. So I wdn't worry about any issues in the initial seasoning.
              2--A very handy item for these was a chain-mail steel scrub. If I do a major hot steak-searing, there's going to be some charred pieces stuck to the pan. After cooking, I let the pan cool way down (but it's still hot!), put some warm water in, let the water get hot, then use the chain-mail scrub to get the stuck bits off. I'll sometimes use a steel spatula to scrape them off, too, but by now it hardly ever needs that. So at this point, after the "toughest" use, I just am using water & the scrub to clean the pan. After I scrub it, the pan is still warm, so I dry it, put on a little bit of whatever oil is handy, then re-heat it on the stovetop for a few minutes--voila, ready for next time!
              3--A few times I've cooked seafood on it, and I really don't like to leave any remnant of a fishy taste for the next meal. So after a seafood meal, I'll scrub it like above, then [HORRORS] some dish-soap on a sponge, rinse, then scrub some salt into it, then dry it and put the oil on it and heat it for next time.
              After a year of use like this, both the big and small ones are pretty close to non-stick, and I love the sears they give us. But here is one big lesson: DON'T MAKE A DISH INVOLVING COOKING/STEWING/SIMMERING TOMATOES in the carbon steel! A significant cook with tomatoes will be more detrimental than the gentle soap cleaning I mentioned. The tomato kind of sets your seasoning back, but only to the extent that it requires another normal use or 2 to get you back on track. Even that's not a big deal.
              Another thing I like about these carbon steel pans is the weird-looking handle does NOT heat up on the stovetop like the cast-iron does (though of course it does when you cook inside the stove). Oh, and they cook great inside the stove, or inside the grill.
              Hope this helps, amigo! Happy grilling!

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Those chain-mail scrubs are great. We even use it on ceramics without any damage. Great tips! Thanks!

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree 100% with everything. It matches my experience to a T. I too have the De Buyer pan. Tomatoes don't belong in a carbon steel pan :-)

Got three coats of flax and three of crisbee on there now. Its darker than it looks in the picture and nice and smooth. Will give its maiden voyage later today. Over all, pretty easy after i figured out i was leaving too much oil on there. Just time consuming. Looking forward to cooking with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	B8B831AA-951E-401D-AA92-EB94BB661336.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	625469

Comment

Cook, cook, til the cows come home. It’ll get nice & black.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here