Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got my first carbon steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Heat it up and burnt off. Go at 450 F and let it rip for at least an hour. grantgallagher You need to make sure to wipe the oil off after you have applied it. All you need is a little micro layer of oil on the surface.

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker any suggestions on the best way to start over or if i actually need to?

• grantgallagher
    replied
    Pretty sure i screwed it up. I think i didnt wipe it down enough and left too much oil on there. The surface was not smooth at all. Guess i gotta start over.

Leave a comment:

• RustyHaines
    commented on 's reply
    I am following this thread closely as I have wanted a carbon steel pan but have been intimidated by the seasoning process. More You Tube videos on it than Dancing With The Stars ! Pics and details please.

• grantgallagher
    replied
    3rd coat of flax is in the oven. I will post pics after this one before i move to the three coats of crisbee larbee

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Somehow doesn't sound all that different!

• grantgallagher
    replied
    The seasoning begins today! My wife is 36 weeks pregnant so hopefully this doesnt put her in labor!

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    replied
    Just fire it up! She’ll leave. 😃💪🙏

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    replied
    Nice pan. Have fun with it.

Amazing how my idea of fun has changed. Used to be hanging out drinking beer. Now it is watching someone season a pan and drinking beer

Leave a comment:

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    Hahaha. I like it!

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    That is one Sweeeeeet looking pan.
    Tell the wife there’s an 18hr only shoe sale at a mall that’s 2hrs away. 😁👍

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Beautiful pan, I'm lookin forward to seein ya season it all up!

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    Anything over 20 min should suffice.

• JoeSousa
    replied
    I got one of these from my wife for Christmas: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KEJQJ2...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It was the pan that won Cooks Illustrated's testing and I think she got it for $30 or so. Still need to work on the seasoning. It is heavier than I thought. I was expecting it to be about the same as a stainless steel pan but it is closer to a cast iron pan weight wise. And it seems that the handles on most carbon steel pans aren't great. Might need to pick up one of those pan grips to go with it.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    Couple of lit chimneys should get over 400 for maybe 45-60 minutes. (How I do wings).

On the PBC I use an intake fan to drive it over 400.

It’s usually fine indoors if you open windows for a cross breeze. Of course if it’s cold outside...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here