Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stand Mixer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stand Mixer

Off the all question....thoughts on the best stand mixer? Classic or Artisan? Kitchenaid? Thoughts?

I have the Electrolux precursor model to this. I think it's amazing. But my wife would have preferred a more conventional Kitchen Aid. https://www.amazon.com/Ankarsrum-Ori...SIN=B00CA7GJJM

Me, I'm as happy as all those reviews!
    Last edited by EdF; December 8, 2018, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Kitchen Aid. Love it. Get the pasta attachment too. Skip the meat grinder attachment.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike maybe I shouldn’t knock it so much. I haven’t used it, I just see online reviews of it being difficult to use. Glad you like yours.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember seeing those too, but when Herr Burgermeister HouseHomey said he uses his a lot that just sealed the deal.

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the attachment; use it for meat and cheese. none of the issues i read about for me. other than the cutter or the fine or course attachment, all goes in the dishwasher. that was one of the pings on it. easy cleanup for me.

classic vs artisan?

Comment

• shush
      shush commented
      Editing a comment
      professional. The artisan and classic, IIRC, have plastic gearing. If you do a lot of grinding and/or pasta, heavy dough, the gears will snap/strip with the plastic.

We have a Kitchenaide Artisan and think it's the best thing ever. Ours is bronze, but i think they call it Truffle Dust, or at least they do now. I want to get a meat grinder for it but haven't yet. Wife loves that thing, barely lets me touch it.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones If she wanted to, but she doesn't want to. I think that'd be great if she did.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Put the meat grinder on your Christmas list...I love that thing. And, other than that, it is my wife's appliance.

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, Look on line & get an old one that is all metal The new grinders are plastic & break easy. you can get new stainless blades for them.

I'd say this is probably the best for the money, a refurbished KitchenAid Artisan 5qt tilt.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Helluva deal, bout three clicks too late lol!

I jus got a Professional 600 6-qt Certified Refurbished, fer $249.99, with an 4 yr ext warranty...
    Bought a few accessories, with th savings.

Based on th reviews I've seen, I'd spring fer th Artisan... others here may have entirely different opinions, or experiences, based upon their use...

What prompted me was how many people had stripped out th (now plastic) gears, in some of th lighter duty models.

Comment

• aladdin4d
      aladdin4d commented
      Editing a comment
      Let me say this about that, the plastic gear is supposed to be a fail safe gear that fails before more damage is done to the drive train, I can't comment on normal wear and tear but every time I've had to fix my brother-in-law's, it's been because of operator abuse. Like thinking running a terry cloth towel through the pasta attachment was a good way to clean it abuse.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree that terry cloth is not an intended item fer any mixer to encounter...!
      Havin a fail-safe is generally good engineerin... I've worked in lots of scenarios where that made life, temper, an general productivity all improved...
      Easy fix, back online, record time...

We have the Artisan my wife is the baker in the family and LOVES it.

Comment

LOVE my KitchenAid!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Go Pro (fessional) Brotha!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I love mine too, but I do lust after the Ankarsrum linked above.

I bought a kitchenaid pro 600 years ago. At the time I was dating my wife, and I got it for her. Or maybe we were already married? Can’t remember.

Anyhow fhe pro 600 is solid as can be. The gearset is all metal. As long as you don’t use it to mix cement it should last a long time. And since the bowl moves up and down (the head doesn’t tilt) it requires less counter space.

Comment

I've got a KitchenAid pro 5qt 525 watts. Bought it at Best buy 299.99. I use it for dough and pulled pork and it does what is expected. I bought a slicer /shredder attachment on e-bay(new never used) all steel. I bought this attachment for mainly coleslaw and it is very disappointing. The feed hole is small and leads to more juice then sliced cabbage, pepper and carrot.
        My intent was to use as a meat grinder / sausage maker also. The add on is not dishwasher friendly and will oxidize in the dishwasher. The meat grinder attachment seems to be a little high in height for the making of sausage. So excellent unit, great power but not a Jack of all Trades.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
          SmokeyGator commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the meat grinder attachment. It leaves much to be desired. For occasional grinding it is OK I suppose better than nothing. But it can only handle small amounts at a time, and fatty stuff will clog it. It simply lacks the power.

Kitchen-aid we have the power plus. I use tge meat grinder all the time.

Comment

I have the Pro 600, have had it for at least 10 years. I had some work done on it, gears replaced or something. I don’t remember. I use it quite a bit and just wore out something in the housing. It has been a work horse.

I have the pasta roller/cutters, pasta extruder, slicer/shredder, meat grinder and stuffing attachments. Of those, the pasta extruder is my favorite attachment. Rigatoni, macaroni, bucatini and spaghetti are all made with this. I love it!

Comment

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            I want fhe pasta attachments.

Go with the Pro had one forever. Meat grinder a must. I have an all metal one I inherited from my grandmother. My sister has her mixer still in use today. Your kids will be thanking you long after you're gone.

Comment

Kitchenaid Pro 600 for the stand mixer. Get the pasta attachments. Ever since we got those, we stopped using our old manual pasta maker. And a Cuisinart Prep 11 Plus food processor. Between them you can do just about anything that requires chopping, dicing, mixing, shredding, etc.

They will last your lifetime. if you still have kids at home, they will be great gifts to give them when they set up their own home. Which gives you an excuse to buy new ones :-)
            Click image for larger version  Name:	964CB217-930A-484B-BF0C-8EC360681531.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	604929Click image for larger version  Name:	48224F98-2FD0-4720-B8D7-1D416252BD9D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	604930
            Last edited by ecowper; December 9, 2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here