Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My SOLIDTEKNICS Wrought Iron pan has arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Histrix
    replied
    Troutman - Solidteknics has always referred to their AUS-ION skillets as "wrought iron" but they are in fact carbon steel skillets.

According to their Australian site they say this:

"We received rapid acclaim from top chefs when we launched the ground-breaking AUS-IONâ„¢ seamless wrought iron (formed low carbon mild steel) commercial cookware on Kickstarter in September 2015. The experts quickly realised that Australians had radically improved on the centuries-old rivetted French steel pans preferred by top chefs all around the world. Re-launched with a Satin shot-peened finish in October 2016, to better hold the seasoning, AUS-IONâ„¢ formed-iron pans season and cook just like cast iron, but are half the weight."

I have no idea as to the specific metallurgical differences between their AUS-ION and US-ION skillets but I strongly suspect the metallurgical differences are likely nil. Their use of the term "wrought iron" is probably just the sort of linguistic differences we see in English as spoken by various "tribes" (think "spanner" vs "wrench"). Of course I could be wrong and would love to be able to find out if there are completely different metal specs for their pans stamped in the US.

I bought a couple of the AUS-ION skillets a few years ago and I can tell you they are not a cheap thin carbon steel that will warp if used over a live fire. They are the same thickness as the pans stamped in the US.

Mine are the original release with the smooth surface and they did have slight problems with seasoning flaking off (not a big deal but it does seem to freak some folks out). Supposedly their switching to a shot peened finish allowed some "toothiness" to the surface to allows seasoning a better surface to "hang on to". I was a bit surprised they are not peening the surface of their US stamped pans but I suspect that is more to due with the added expense of that process.

I love the AUS-ION skillets and while they may be lighter than many cast iron skillets (Lodge) there are cast iron skillets out there that have thinner walls and lighter weight and are likely just as tough as the Solditeknics skillets in regards to use over a live fire or resistance to cracking. My Field and Marquette Casting skillets are thinner walls than the Solidteknics pans and it looks like even my Stargazer pan has a wall thickness (at least on the sidewalls - the Stargazer has a lot of metal in the two handles so it is significantly heavier than my AUS-ION of similar size (2333g vs 1600g)) thinner than the ION skillets.

They are definitely cool skillets and I use them far more than most of my cast iron stuff but then I also use my nonstick and stainless steel skillets more than cast iron so obviously I'm not that hard core cast iron fanatic type to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• Baker Dan
    replied
    That is a beautiful pan. I like the angle of the handle.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Now I'm beginning to wonder what the real difference is with carbon steel and wrought iron in terms of their cooking dynamics. I know the material differences, wrought is actually less likely to rust. Other than that I wonder why they chose that particular metal, is it closer to cast iron in its performance?

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    That is a lot like what this pan is about. It is kinda the happy medium between cast iron and carbon steel. Troutman I really think this pan would be the ticket for you!

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Yea cast iron is tried and true with generations of backing. It's obvious drawback is weight. If some form of carbon steel has similar cooking dynamics then I would love to have one in my arsenal. Pro chefs sure seem to like them.

• Spinaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Troutman View Post
    I'm really curious to see how it cooks. It's slick enough looking so I don't think sticking will be a problem. Although its 3mm I'm still a bit skeptical as to the heat dispersion. Let us know after you run it through its paces, I'm thinking this is a great alternative to the heavy old cast iron favorite.
    I think it is going to cook like a dream. In my experience, heat dispersion is not usually the issue. It is more about heat retention when a think piece of meat or a load of food is added to the pan. Solidteknics says that this pan, at 3mm, is still beefy enough to retain plenty of heat. Even for huge steaks........I am not sure about that one, but we shall see.

I think this pan could be a great alternative for those that are looking for cast iron performance without the weight.

I will be sure to post some picks of my first cook, as well as thoughts when compared to a cast iron pan.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    My workhorse is the 12” lodge that has decades of use in it. It’s tough to beat just because the saesoning and surface is smooth and incredibly established. My finex still can’t compete yet.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    I am waiting on that one too. That is going to be sweet. I can't wait to see what they come up with for the handle. The handle on the 10" is my favorite in the cast iron world.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    That might have to happen tonight.

• Troutman
    replied
    I'm really curious to see how it cooks. It's slick enough looking so I don't think sticking will be a problem. Although its 3mm I'm still a bit skeptical as to the heat dispersion. Let us know after you run it through its paces, I'm thinking this is a great alternative to the heavy old cast iron favorite.

Leave a comment:

• Fire Art
    commented on 's reply
    Thats Purty

• Polarbear777
    replied
    I was holding out for stargazers large pan, but maybe not now...

Leave a comment:

• smokinfatties
    replied
    beautimus spin!! lets see a steak or something good seared on that bad boy!

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Hahaha, that you need to get one. JGo37

• JGo37
    commented on 's reply
    It's 10:30 PM. I still have work to do before tomorrow. I have to look at ~ 50 listings for my wife to look at tomorrow too, on her day off, and give her ~ 8 and in a feasible region.

I'm sitting here, instead, looking at a pan. And am awestruck, and thinking 'WOW'. I'm still looking at the pan. It's 10:35 now. What does that tell you?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here