Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally bought a carbon steel pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally bought a carbon steel pan

I just received my new Lodge 12" and am currently seasoning it. I've had my eye on them for a while. It's a little heavier than I anticipated, and I'll probably want a silicon cover for the handle. I can't wait to start using it.

Since I hit 40 everything has been heavier than I expected.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard I liked to laughed my arse off, when I read that at work, earlier today!!!!

Attjack No non-stick is a major accomplishment; mine have been gone, long many, many years, an then some!
      Had a few, got over em purty dang rapidly...

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      They're not all they're cracked up to be, Mr. Bones.

• vwskirch
      vwskirch commented
      Editing a comment
      Try 52

Click image for larger version

Name:	271454F2-B95B-4539-B52B-26F5ED98E593.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	571155 I got to use Mudkat Lodge carbon steel pan this weekend. I really liked it

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I cooked that bacon. First cook to break it in.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Where's the blueberry pancakes? 😁

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Like the look of those eggs. We're at an AirBNB this weekend, and they have hens and fresh eggs. Only problem seems to be scrounging around for the right pan. But we've only been here a few hours, so... morning will tell!

Why would one choose carbon steel over cast and vice versa?

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Weight

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Which is why I bought the 12" pan. I debated with myself whether to buy the 15" double handled pan. Maybe I will in the future.

I've been looking at those for a long time. Just can't pull the trigger because of all the CI I already have. Maybe I could justify it to SWMBO because of car pull tunnel. Question: is it possible to have TOO may cooking pans?

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Depends on how much space you have.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      The short answer is no. Unless you ask my beautiful better half... Then the answer becomes much longer and much more convoluted...

Enjoy your new pan Attjack ! I think you'll love it. I'm thinking about getting the 15" pan too.

I use the 12" CS most of the time now. It is lighter but not "light". Another thing I like about it is it retains heat when on a heat source but will cool much quicker when removed. If you over heat it you can recover by moving it off the flame. Cast Iron tends to take a while to cool.

The one thing I am disappointed about the Logde CS is that the handle doesn't allow you to flip your veggies when sauteing. But for $29 bucks and it goes over an open fire I'll just use a spatula!

Comment

You will love that pan. You really won't need the silicone handle, unless you are cooking over a live camp fire. Those carbon steel pans have much longer handles that also don't retain heat as much as a cast iron pan handle.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I already do and I already noticed that the handle doesn't seem to get too hot, but I'll probably put it in the oven so I have ordered a silicone handle for it.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a bad move there.

The Lodge foundry is in South Pittsburg, TN, about 45 minutes from me. There is a cornbread festival every spring in South Pittsburg, and Lodge offers factory torus during the festival. I have been to the festival, but until I came here and contracted MCS, I never wanted to take the tour. Now I am itching to take it, and maybe pick up some of these CS pans. I have several months to think up a suitable excuse, since we currently have a cabinet full of SS and CI pans...

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think you can go wrong picking up a couple/three to try them out. They're kind of different, but I think in a good way.

Ohhhhhhh (sigh)... I thought I was just about done buyin' stuff.

Comment

I love cast iron but, as I get older, it gets heavier. Carbon steel gives me the best traits of cast iron but at half the weight. When properly seasoned, eggs slide around on the CS pans just like teflon. They take a little maintenance but not much. They have become my go to pans now for everything except fish. I own a 10' and 12' Lodge and a 12.5' Mafter (which is quite a bit heavier).

The key to all Lodge pans is to at least partially remove the 'seasoning' with sandpaper or a wire brush. That stuff is more for rustproofing than for cooking. It also takes the finish from sandpaper like to orange peel. Then heat the pan and apply as thin a coat of flax seed or canola oil and wipe out as much as possible. Then place in a 500 degree oven for 1 hour, turn off the oven and let cool without removing the pan. Repeat the heat/oil/bake process 2-3 more times and you have a cooking surface that is nearly as nonstick as teflon.

Comment

Potato peelings,salt,flaxseed oil, med high heat on the stove top. Cooks illustrated, don't get all the smoke from oven works great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here