Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knife Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start with just an 8-10” chefs. Go to a store and actually try them. Get one that you feel most comfortable using and has a medium to good steel like vg10 or aus10. Try to avoid "no-name" steels unless it’s from a very respected company or maker.

I recently discovered dahlstrong and for the price they are hard to beat. compared to a shun classic chefs, I usually use the dahlstrong, mostly because it fits my grip better.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Companies that use a good steel are normally proud of the fact, and want you to know what they are using. If they don't tout the steel they are using, it could still be a good one, but you will not know.

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      I was looking at the dahlstrong dragon just yesterday! some really nice stuff.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got a Dahlstrong Shogun slicer, a paring knife and a set of steak knives. Great quality, good price for what they are.

Another option to consider....
    Take a look at the Spyderco knife sharpener. Get the diamond stones to add to the set which will bring dull knives back to a condition they can then be refined to an really sharp edge with the stones in the basic setup. Start with a knife or two to get your technique down. It will take some time but the long term benefits of hand sharpening pays off. This setup will work with any knife. It also can be used to sharpen scissors.
    I am not a fan of electric knife sharpeners. They take too much metal off fast and don’t create a lasting edge.
    Brookie

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I also use the sharpmaker. Does a great job and not crazy expensive.

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Spyderco too. It seems like a good investment.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with Brookie, I learned how to use various grades of whet stones from an old timer who actually knew how to make an edge and make it last. Call me old school, I still believe that's the way a knife should be sharpened.

Yeah, they jus don't (quite literally) make things th way they 'usedta do'...

I always gravitate towards th older specimens of many tried, n true brands...

I have always been a whetstone sharpener, (Scouts, as well), an have made many $$$ in my off time, doin so, fer others, under varyin circumstances of neccessity / urgency......

As previously stated, there are, one could safely say, a multitude of sharpeners / methods / systems / machines available, 'Out There'... I'll not enter into that debate.

I have a few newer things that seem to help, but, much like a whetstone, take some time to bring a knife back from 10 years dull...At a minimum, havin a good steel around, an learnin a lil proficiency on it will stave off most knife complaints...

Whatever ya decide to do, don't do like me, an go droppin yer limited money on some new knives...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_153534.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	563460Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_153551.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	563461Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_153607.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	563462Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_153627.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	563463

I ain't, even fer one minute makin sport of ya, brother...

I found myself needin some cutlery to take on th road with me, that I had no particular sentimental attachment to, in case summat might bad happen...

These? These can be readily replaced...

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      I really like the cleaver! It is probably one of my favorites right now, and it was VERY reasonably priced. The handle good be bigger to fit my hand, but nothing to complain about.

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones , I just noticed you have the 14 incher...what ya usin' that for? As a machete when your out trailblazin'? Ha! I have the 7 & 10 to tag along with the cleaver and am contemplating the 14 in the near future.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Craigar lol! Nah, I gots a good ol machete...WWII issue.
      It is quite good fer solicitors, though...

DON'T OVERLOOK THE EARLY MENTION OF GROCERY STORES. I was shocked to find out the local chain in St. Louis - Schnuck's - does it free. Then I found out a lot do - they have numbered sheaths at the store for each knife and ask 3 days here. Just make sure to use a store with an in-house butcher.

I think you can maintain Chicago Cutlery with kitchen steel after a pro sharpening for almost a year. I use kitchen steel every time I use a knife. I, too, am reticent to go electric - I don't have many disposable knives anymore. I'm also unhappy with the manuals I've used so far.

I have a couple deep investments in fish filet knives because I'm an avid angler - those are challenging too. I have a wet stone
    for those.

Knife discussions are pretty much like politics and religion, and the sharpeners can be too. I'm a fan of vintage Sheffield stainless knives if the handle is real horn, and Damascus. That could start a good argument. I also have the Mercer 14" on my Amazon BBQ wish list.

To sum it up, I think you should get them sharpened and maintain them manually while you develop a long term knife investment and maintenance strategy.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      JGo37, I Think You And I Fall In The Same Camp Regarding Knife
      Sharpening And Maintenance‼️ Our Utility Knives Are "VINTAGE"
      Chicago Cutlery, Vitronix, Old Hickory And❓❓❓ They Are Maintained Periodically With A Wet Stone And A Steel‼️❓‼️ The
      Secret Is "PROPER STORAGE" To Keep Knives Sharp‼️❓‼️
      From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

I have used Chicago knives and you can sharpen them. Currently my favorite set is a Pampered Chef collection that my wife bought. Who would have thought! I also have a Cutco clever that is a dream. I was a whetstone die-hard for my entire life but did buy an electric sharpener with three wheels about two years ago. I can do a quick touch-up with the 2nd and 3rd wheel but can use the first wheel on tough dull knives. A steel is also helpful during for on the job touch ups.

Comment

heck just go with RADA

Comment

I'm considering the AG Russell ceramic rods, potentially with the diamond rods added. Henckels knives. After reading this thread, I've checked out the Spyderco Sharpmaker as well, and it appears to be superior. I'd appreciate any comments or advice.
        Last edited by fkrall; September 9, 2018, 09:54 AM. Reason: Added Spyderco as an option

Comment

I recently got the Victorinox Swiss Army 8-Piece Ultimate Competition BBQ Set with Black Fibrox Pro Handles and Knife Roll (https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01GR13642/). I have been very happy with their performance and how they fit my hand. They're not cheap (~$200), but they don't break the bank for what you get. This is a quality set of tools that you feel comfortable using for BBQ. My wife and son each have swanky Japanese chef knives that costs almost what I paid for my Victorinox kit. They're amazing knives, but I'm not comfortable using them knowing how much they cost and their sleek, polished handles get slippery in a greasy BBQ environment. I really love the handles on the Victorinox set. They don't slip and clean up is easy. A long rambling answer to say that I'm not a knife geek, but I am a big fan of the Victorinox BBQ set of knives for prepping and serving BBQ.

Comment

• BigJimE
            BigJimE commented
            Editing a comment
            Good call on the handle material. For bbq the no-nonsense commercial style handles are best, because if the knife slips out of your grip that's when you get cut. I use my fancy knives when doing regular food prep in the kitchen, but use the non-slip when slicing up the 'que.

• dahcopilot
            dahcopilot commented
            Editing a comment
            got a cooking mag this month that tested paring knives, the ten dollar swiss beat all the high dollar german and japanese knives in every catagory

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice. Thanks for sharing. I've really been enjoying the Victorinox. They'll definitely get put through their paces over the holidays.

I still use Chicago Cutlery we received as a wedding present 35 years ago. Which is about the same time I bought a Lansky sharpener which allows a precise, consistent angle when sharpening. Together they equal sharp knives. I was taught electric knife sharpeners overheat the metal and that can weaken the edge over time. IMO the key is to not let them get very dull . . . and keep your family from using them as screwdrivers, chisels, and pry bars! The Lansky also works on scissors by using a steeper angle.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            What angle ya been usin on yer Ol Chicagos, RustyHaines ?

I also have a Lansky setup, an like it a lot, but tryin to assemble a database of factory edge bevels fer common knives...
            Or did ya re profile em, to a preferred angle?

• RustyHaines
            RustyHaines commented
            Editing a comment
            I sharpen at a 15 degree angle with my Lansky for all my knives. I have 2 knives that were at 10 degree angles and I changed them to 15 degrees. Took some elbow grease and a little time but I got them converted. I find 15 degrees to be the best for a good, functional sharp edge that has a some longevity assuming the knives are used properly. I sharpen scissors at a 25 degree angle.

First choice for me is a water stone.
          Second choice is the Tormek that I've had for years and years. Tormek is AWESOME but pricey now days.

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a shop full of sharpening machines and the Tormek is also one of favorites. Expensive now a days, but worth it if you do other tools beside knives.

Do not buy an expensive or nice bread knife. They wear out, they get dull, and they can’t really be sharpened properly. Buy cheap ones and replace as they go bad.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            The Spyderco Sharpmaker uses triangle shaped rods that work quite well on on bread knives. This is for knives with rounded ridges - not the ones that look like a saw blade.

I like to sharpen my own knives and have been doing so since I was a kid. I now use a Worksharp KEN ONION EDITION which works quite well. I then use a leather strop.

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            JL I had an uncle that used to use a strop too, just not on knives. If you didn't move quick enough when he called you met the strop

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL Yea, them strops are sharp sometimes. I was on the receiving end a few times growing up.

Originally posted by klflowers View Post
          We have an old set of Chicago Cutlery knives. I am weighing buying another set vs buying an electrc sharpener. The set is around 10 years old and very dull. We have an old manual sharpener that doesn't work at all. What do you guys think? Our budget is kinda low...
          Don't buy a "SET". Decide which particular knife is most important and buy the best one you can. I just bought this...

after struggling to separate a packer into the point and the flat.

Then, I bought this, as an 8 inch chef's knife is the most important in my arsenal...

I also needed steak knives, and I almost bought Meathead's recommendation, but glad I didn't....I think these are a better value.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ... 4 for $21. Fantastic cutlery and fantastic value.

By the way, all three of these purchases are to replace knives in a "set" that I bought years ago.

Comment

Who needs something sliced (?), come see me ......

Comment

I have a chef choice sharpener. If you hone your blade regularly then you will not need to sharpen it that often. If I was on a budget I would buy a knife sharpener and hone. You can make any blade sharp including the blades you have now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here