Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gloves do you use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What gloves do you use

I grill and smoke and need gloves to grab the meat and more importantly pull my pan out of the smoker and not blister my finger tips. What do you use?

Click image for larger version  Name:	94451922-3BE5-4775-904D-BC0E9A6AAE17.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.02 MB ID:	551463Click image for larger version  Name:	E4E6EBD4-3125-45A6-9C92-2A314D59F7FF.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.57 MB ID:	551462 I use the black pair for meat, don’t know brand, Raichlen recommended offf of Amazon. For handling stuff I use the G&F’s that recommended here. Had each for two years, no problems, work just dandy.
    Last edited by FireMan; August 19, 2018, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Just got some G&F's, they are great. I have some silicon ones similar to FireMan's that I use for handling food

• ClayJones
      ClayJones commented
      Editing a comment
      G&Fs here too...but I left one out in the rain and it's now hard as a brick so I just do everything with one hand

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      ClayJones That’s friggin hilarious!! Just made my morning.

I have silicone mitts for food, or things that are wet. For things made of metal I use leather welding gloves. Wearing nomex gloves under the welding gloves increases the time you can safely handle things that are really hot.

You can also let things like water / drip pans cool before removing them.

Comment

I most often am wearin th gloves on th left, sometimes add th everyday leather gloves RH over them, or solo...
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5534.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	551466
      PLEASE NOTE: I can pick up things that are way too hot for most folks; I have often hauled ~180°+ steam table pans th length of th kitchen I was employed in, an warned th line servers to use their towels, tongs, etc...
      Git a few steps back towards my cookers, an hear "SSSSSSZZZZZZZZZ AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!"
      They seen me barehanded, tried it. DON'T DO DAT!!!! Burns are th worst!!!!

I recently bought these gloves, to up my game beyond th thermal protection th above gloves/combo are capable of providin, haven't tried em out yet. Will let yall know what I think.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5535.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	551467

Comment

• OSB
        OSB commented
        Editing a comment
        Best gloves around. Not stiff at all. I've been using them for years.

For handeling food I highly recommend disposable nitrile gloves. If the food is hot just put a pair of woven cotton work gloves under them.

Comment

The blue Nitrile gloves for food prep and handling then what ever I have handy otherwise.

Comment

• adamjs83
          adamjs83 commented
          Editing a comment
          You look like more of a badass in the black ones. 😎

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          But the blue ones are free at my work..👍👍

• TNPIGBBQ
          TNPIGBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          With that attitude, I’m sure you regularly embarrass the heck out of your kids.

I’m really looking forward to that. Haha
          kids need the p*** taken out of them regularly for their own good

These guys work really well. There are a lot of other brands that match the same specs, and which I'm sure do just as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
          TNPIGBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Can you pick up hot coals with those?

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          TNPIGBBQ Yeah, I've done it a couple of times, but not for more than a couple of seconds. Didn't feel anything, but I wasn't going to tempt fate.

PS. The black ones I think are Rapicca.

Comment

In general, I use up to three different pair. For general VERY hot stuff, like taking off a hot grate or flipping an errant coal back to where it belongs I just use some HD Lincoln welding gloves. Moving hot pans and such, my ole trusty "Ove-Gloves" work perfect. For meat, I use my Venom Steel gloves over a pair of hand savers. https://h2qshop.com/collections/bbq-...rs-glove-liner

They work dang dang good.

As far as Venom Steel, they are the best! I even did a very in-depth review some years ago.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yuuuuuup, These are what I use, Thanks to you!

These are the best ever.

• OSB
            OSB commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on the Venom Steel.

I went to my local Fire Department Store and bought a pair of firefighting gloves on sale for less than $50. Much more heat resistant than welding gloves.

Comment

I don't always grab super hot stuff but when I do, I don't wear any gloves.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yabbut, you're HouseHomey - that's like being a superhero!

Hope you have a very cold Dos Equis around!

Click image for larger version

Name:	KHAIrLy.png
Views:	383
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	551891

Comment

Be careful using welder's gloves for things other than welding. I have used welder's gloves for years to handle fish next to the boat when offshore fishing. It is a give and take to get the a few hundred pound fish in a position for whatever you are going to do with it (take or release). A lot of times I see people who offshore fish as a hobby, when they put on welder's gloves their testosterone or estrogen levels go sky high. It is no longer give and take but take. If the hook pulls they are on the presssre end with a large hook coming at them (for people who fish freshwater a very huge hook).

BBQ for me is a hobby as it is for most of us here. As Mr. Bones said above, "Burns are the worst!!!" On August 15, 1982 I was blown on a boat. Second and third degree burns over 35% of my body. HE IS NOT KIDDING!!!

Comment

I'm also a big fan of the G&F Welding gloves. They protect your hands, of course, but also your arms, which is the biggest benefit for me. I learned the hard way that they are not heat proof. Back when I was just getting started, I picked up the grill grate (must have been 600+ degrees) and could "only" hold it about three seconds.

There is a nice black line across the inner finger tips of the left glove, reminding me of how much THAT HURT.

The main disadvantage is that you lose some dexterity with them. For example, I have a hard time clipping my temp probe to the grate with them. For better dexterity, I've been using nitrile gloves over cotton glove liners (Malcom Reed does this a lot).

Still for 90% of near-grill tasks, I've got the G&F gloves on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here