Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way too much Lobster!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way too much Lobster!!

Can any one recommend scissors to cut through lobster knuckles? I process at boat load of love busters and the knculres are a PAIN!!

immusng Wustoff scissors ✂️ now but the blades are too fat and demolish the meat.

I need a thin scissors that can hold up to knuckes of about 200 lobsters per week. Just in case you were wondering, that's 400 knuckes.

thank you for your help. I'm desperate.
    HH

I’ve had similar issues with my Wusthof shears and am looking for a replacement. Kershaw and Shun come highly recommended. I’ll post a model number when I find it.

Here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P2DJC1S...kequippilot-20
    Last edited by MBMorgan; July 5, 2018, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• Rfuilrez
      Rfuilrez commented
      Editing a comment
      I own a pair of these and Im not really impressed with them. They work just ok, and they’re not real comfortable to use in my opinion.

Basically they get the job done but for the price I would look at something different.

I haven't had your problem, too far from the beach! So I Googled 'lobster scissors'. There was a review page from Chef's Illustrated and America's Test Kitchen, but I had to sign up to view. Found this one.

Comment

I have two pairs of the Wusthof shears, the ones with the black and grey rubber grips, and the ones that have the solid black grips. They indeed destroy crustaceans. Give these a try, I think you will like them and if not, hey, they are only $20. They are also great for snipping off the trussing twine on cooked roasts that have plumped up around the string.

Comment

ATK likes these specifically for shellfish.

Comment

No such thing as too much lobster, although it sounds like it’s not for you. You need an east coast guy to chime in. I was just north of Halifax last year and they showed us how to prepare lobster. For the life of me I can’t remember how they split the knuckle, but I don’t think it was with scissors.

Comment

In Connecticut we always used a nut cracker thing and a pick to get the meat out. I don’t recall ever using scissors. We also had little hammers to pound the crap out of shells. If they were soft you could just break with your hands or a fork.

Comment

Similar to Numer’s above, I’ve always like curved shears for shellfish. Keeps the blade away from the meat.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Just ordered these. Thank you.

Amazon has a ton of seafood scissors.

Comment

Florida lobster lack claws. So eat those.

Problem solved. And Florida lonstermen will be happy

Comment

• SmokeyGator
                  SmokeyGator commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don’t do mini season. Too many Yahoos on the water. I let the hysteria pass then bully net the flats at night.

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Where's the beef.... errr... seafood? Photos please. Would love to see that stuf in action! Yes siree bob. We get our 2nd rate lobster from the mid/North Atlantic.

• johnec00
                  johnec00 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't do mini season for the same reason as you. We do Islamorada the first week of the actual season. Much safer.

Ummmm, I wants lobster, are you consuming said lobster or is it your profession?

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  At work. Not even I can eat that much lobster.

Small diagonal wire cutters can get into tight spaces w/o ruining the meat...

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very interesting!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here